Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's da Oscahs!

Throwing my hat in for meaningless Oscar blogs.

I only do the major categories: Best Movie, Best Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress because it's my blog and I'll pull it right over if you don't SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Besides, what do I know about directing, or screenplays, or art design? Nuthin.

We'll start with movies.

So OMG, did you hear?! TEN movies were nominated for Best Picture. And I saw nine of them, which is pretty good but essentially frustrating. I so do enjoy a good 100%.

We'll rank them in order I liked them.

It's tough, because I really did mostly enjoy all of them ...

1. District 9 -- I didn't want to see this movie. I thought it would suck. It most definitely did not suck. I really, really, really enjoyed it and Sharlto Copley rocked my world. I had to look up his name, but he had the best performance of the year (more on that later.) Obviously not going to win, but it makes no matter to me ... Best movie of the year.

2. Precious -- I watched this movie with one of the worst audiences I've ever shared a movie space with. But the emotion of this movie cut through the jerkoffs in the theater. The praise for Mariah Carey is a little overrated, but the other acting performances in this movie are extremely moving.

3. Up in the Air -- I think I wrote enough about this one.

4. UP -- Yeah it's a cartoon. So what. It's original ... for a cartoon.

5. Inglorious Basterds -- My favorite Tarantino movie. Acting in this also top-notch.

6. The Hurt Locker -- I know, sixth!?! Like I said, I enjoyed all these movies, I really did. I think seeing the Hurt Locker on the home TV instead of the movie theater hurt my perception. It was very suspenseful, but the ending felt ever so slightly off for me, and the plot slightly predictable.

7. The Blind Side -- Speaking of predictable... (Still a very solid sports movie.)

8. Avatar -- Speaking of predictable... (Still a very solid sci-fi movie.)

9. A Serious Man -- Well, first of all. I spent the first 45 minutes thinking Colin Firth was supposed to show up. Second of all, I've come to the conclusion I just don't enjoy Coen Brothers movies at all. This wasn't the worst of them (Intolerable Cruelty). I felt like this was trying to be a Tarantino movie, but with Jews. And not butt-kickin' ones.

10. An Education -- N/A. Didn't see it.

----------------------

Best Actor

Well..... I didn't see Crazy Heart, Invictus or, turns out, A Single Man. The other two nominees were good, but didn't blow me away. Why wasn't Copley (I had to look it up again) nominated for District 9??!?! My blogging buddy Jessica tells me it's because the Academy doesn't like to nominate first-time actors, but then why I ask you, why were some of these others nominees nominated?! I have no doubt she has a much smarter and well thought out answer for that than I do. But she's away so I get to pound my fists!

When in doubt, go with Ebert: "Bridges' great performance swept the critics' awards, won a Golden Globe, a SAG award and now looks like the winner. Jeremy Renner or George Clooney could win, but Bridges has the momentum."

----------------------

Best Actress

I hit three of the five here. Just because Meryl Streep is good in everything doesn't mean she should get nominated every time. I feel like they threw Blind Side into Best Picture just to make it fathomable to nominate Sandra Bullock. I mean, she was good. But ... you know. It was a slightly above average sports film.

Gabby Sidibe was brilliant in Precious. And, while I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the Oscars, has turned out to be one of the most likable females in Hollywood in ages. I really, really hope she wins.

----------------

Best Supporting Actor

Errr... yeah. I only saw Christoph Waltz and from what I hear, that's all that matters. He was super duper crazy good in Iglorious Basterds and I can't wait to see him in more stuff.

---------------

Best Supporting Actress

Monique wasn't a character in Precious. She was a person. She was a real person and I believed every ounce of that performance. Blown. Away. Game. Set. Match.

Heading to the gym and then red carpet and then Oscars! (I won't actually be there, but you know.)


1 comment:

jessica maria said...

Finally catching up on le blogs!! So here I goooooo!

1. Why haven't you seen An Education!? I watched it like three times on the way to Japan...flight is LONG and it was free. But seriously, really good. Here's my order:

1. The Hurt Locker
2. District 9
3. An Education
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Precious
6. Up
7. Up in the Air
8. The Blind Side
9. Avatar
10. A Serious Man

I love me some Coen brothers, but I really didn't like A Serious Man. It also made me feel dumb? "A Single Man" richly deserved to be nominated here. If it was, it would be my #2 ranked movie. Seriously blew me away in the theaters.

2. Sharto Copley did indeed deserve recognition for his mighty performance in District 9 - but he was a long-run. Jeremy Renner took his spot as a before-this-year-unknown actor getting his first nom. The other 4 guys have earned their place by either being previously nominated (Cloonz, Bridges, Freeman) or previously associated with award winning films, finally getting their recognition (FIRTH!!).

Crazy Heart was amazing: Bridges totally deserved it. If not him, I would hope for a Firth win. Yes, over Clooney. Clooney was good but just didn't stand up acting-wise to Bridges or Firth in my opinion. (Or Copley or Renner for that matter!)

3. Bullock definitely did a great job, but I would have LOVED to see Gabby win it!! She was amazing! Tough ladies to be up against though, for sure! I finally saw Julie & Julia and while Amy Adam's character and storyline are totally and completely ANNOYING, Julia Child and Streep's portrayal are jaw-droppingly great. Jaw-dropping bc I dont' understand how they mucked up such brilliance with the stupid blogger storyline. They should have quit within the first month of shooting and been like, "Um, we're doing a Child biopic instead..."

Also - Mirren is always great, and I was QUITE impressed with this Mulligan ingenue. She's going to do some big things in the future...

4. Best Supporting Actor - here's the category with my person Sharlto Copley miss. I though Paul Schneider in Bright Star was grossly ignored for his brilliant performance. And Waltz was great, yes, he deserved the award, but I think Schneider deserved the nomination --- Waltz has won every supporting actor award this season except ONE. He TIED with Paul Schneider for a critic's award. Fuck Matt Damon's performance. Tucci, Plummer, Harrelson I'll give you.

I like this list of predicted nominees: http://www.altfg.com/blog/awards/oscar-2010-early-predictions-best-supporting-actor/

It includes Schneider AND Alfred Molina from An Education - two performances that blew me away during the movies as Oscar-worthy.

5. Monique was perfect.

Seriously that's the most I've written about the Oscars this year. Hahahaha

Also can I just say that I'm pissed the Academy ignored Bright Star & director Jane Campion?! SHE'S BRILLIANT I SAY!!! But hooray for Kathryn Bigelow! SO GLAD SHE WON. I woudl have been depressed had Cameron King of the World took it again.

Okay, I'm done now. :)