Sunday, April 19, 2009

I liked it.

Couple things, couple things.

First of all, I am very pleased to say we finally bought Jeff's wedding ring today! For some reason that I can't quite explain without sounding possessive or barfy, this was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. Just seeing Jeff with a ring on ... it made me smile, a lot. I'm sure brides-to-be can relate and perhaps the grooms as well. 

Anyways, here's a blurry pic.



We decided to go with a Tungsten ring. I had never heard of Tungsten before, but our friend Paul from California had one and I thought it was pretty sharp-looking. Obviously, it's not as fancy as platinum or gold, and I asked Jeff several times if he minded a 'cheaper' metal, and he said he didn't. The ring does have a nice shine though, and it will never scratch, and anyone who's seen the face of Jeff's watch knows that's important. Oh, and it was a good price too. We were in the store for about five minutes and it was decision, done.

***

A few nights ago I had a mini-panic attack (as I sometimes do) about our honeymoon ... specifically the driving aspect of it. To remind you, we're driving from London, to the Cotswolds (about 45 minutes) to Liverpool (about 2 hours) to Edinburgh (about 4 hours). I was up one night thinking, "Can we really pull this off? Can we handle driving on the other side of the road without crashing? What if we get lost? Will our cellphones work?" So I woke Jeff up at 1:30 in the morning and ... well, he wasn't having any of it. I talked to my mom the next day as well and she talked me off the edge. A good rule of thumb I've had in my life is that if my mom isn't worried about something, it's not something to be worried about. And it would have cost us $500 to change our flights. So we've officially rented the car.

Now that the honeymoon has been almost entirely booked, it's time to think about what we'll do each day. This is the fun part. There's the Tower of London, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Harrod's, etc. Then we want to hit up one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants and possibly do "High Tea" somewhere. And ever since that YouTube clip, yeah, you know which YouTube clip I'm talking about, reminded me how much I LOVED Les Miserables, I think we're going to see that as well. It originated in London and is my absolute favorite musical. I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but if you sit through a showing of Les Mis and are not moved by the end, you have no soul. Seriously, the first time I saw it, I spent the 20 minutes after it ended bawling. It was ... embarrassing. Though, not as embarrassing as the time it happened when I went to see Pearl Harbor in High School (must have been a bad week.)

It's going to be a lot to pack into a few days but I hope to make the most of it!

****
Friday Night Lights. Yeah, I know, all but two of you are tired of hearing about it. But we've finished all available episodes and are caught up, and I'm hooked. And I've officially made Jeff jealous with all my fawning over Tim Riggins (which has juiced me up at least 20% to see the new Wolverine movie. I had no idea he was playing Gambit, my favorite X-Men character as a child. But heck, I'm on board now. Tim Riggins can do no wrong.)

But what next?!?! They can't play this like Saved by the Bell right? I hate to harken back to it, but Dawson's Creek played this really well and I think they can follow that as a guideline. But Tim's in San Antonio, Matt's supposed to be in Chicago, Tyra's at UT and Lyla's at Vanderbilt... and coach is in East Dillon?! Oh man, it's nutty.  

5 comments:

Jeff S said...

"We were in the store for about five minutes and it was decision, done."

That's how decisions are made.

Steve said...

The FNL episodes were originally aired on Direct TV and were longer. One recap I read described a scene, that we never saw, where Matt tells Julie he's staying in Texas cuz he can't leave his grandmother.

Also, I hope they find a way to keep Smash's mom in the show. She's great.

jessica maria said...

omg you almost ruined FNL for me and i realized i had to STOP reading. you beat me!!! i'm still not done with season 3.

and now i'm trying to remember what show i had lined up for you to start watching?!?!!?! dammit.

good job on the ring!!

also, i was in the area this weekend but was busy meeting and confirming wedding stuff!!! next time, woman!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

hey what happened to my comment? major bummer

Mike said...

Geeky brother reporting in.

Tungsten is the element that is commonly used as the filament in incandescent light bulbs - the part that the current runs through and heats up to glow and provide light.

I am guessing that the current required to heat Jeff's ring would be substantially more, so I would recommend against plugging him in to a wall outlet to 'find out'.