Sunday, April 5, 2009

TV on DVD with Jeff and Emily: Friday Night Lights

It's a new feature! Jeff and I often find TV shows we never watched a give them a shot all the way through. Since I've gotten glowing recommendations from two of my favorite bloggers Steve and Jessica about Friday Night Lights, Jeff and I decided to give it a try. Below is my review through about the first quarter of the first season.

I am so glad I didn't go to a high school like Dillon High School. Where would I be today? Slapping bubble gum, primping my hair and obsessing over a man past his peak, no doubt. I can't even imagine attending a high school like this. My school was no where close to this. Our football team sucked. The cheerleaders were ... not the prettiest girls in school (I was one as a freshman, so I feel OK saying this). We didn't have any jocks, I don't even know anyone from our school who got a scholarship for any sport. You get the idea.

That being said, I get that's how it is in Texas. People obsess over football, in an unhealthy way. There's a lot of pressure on these kids. I don't have to like it, but it's the truth. 

I'm one of those people who can't get past reality when watching a TV show or movie, at least not right away. So for me to enjoy  Friday Night Lights I have to accept the above, plus the following.

1. The fact that all the actors are in their mid-20s and playing high schoolers. That stuff cracks me up.
2. I've covered maybe a 100 high school football games in my lifetime. Do you know how many came down to the last play? Three? And usually it's the team that's down that's got the ball with a chance in hell to tie... and they throw a pick. The average score of a high school football game is usually like 47-3. Seriously. But all of Dillon's first three games came down to the last play. At least they'd be worth the price of admission.
3. Everybody's gorgeous. Again, not my high school, but maybe that's a good thing.

On top of that, the torrid love affairs between these high schoolers rings false to me. Sure, there was always drama in high school, but ... come on. The coach and his wife have very realistic fights, over not planning for parties, not having time for each other, but these high schools are REDONKULOUS. Also, every adult character on this show, aside from the coach and his wife, are EXTREMELY unlikeable. Over the top, obnoxious dirt bags.

But of course you know this is my favorite writing tool. Give you the bad news first. 

I am enjoying it. I liked the movie (and I think Billy Bob Thorton was really good in that, better than the coach here). I'm wondering if this show is suffering for me because I'm watching the episodes back to back in a short series of time so they run a little bit together. And the writing could be better. But the acting is good, its directed well, and it rings true in a lot of ways. The relationship between the coach and his wife is the heartbeat of the show. If they can sustain this story line and not have it play out like Saved by the Bell (exactly how many senior proms can one person have?) then I'll be impressed. I just saw that they added two more seasons on top of the first three. So far, I'm in. 

Jeff's thoughts: "Steve was right. I'm enjoying it thoroughly with the exception of the blonde girl."

Werschaible ranking: I'll let you know.

2 comments:

jessica maria said...

For a show starting out - especially the pilots, everything is a little rough. (Except for LOST's pilot, because they had enough $$$ and clout to make an awesome plane crash etc etc etc). Anyway, I wasn't fully convinced in the first few episodes. But I soon became totally enthralled by these characters. The sad thing is, I've been to three highschools and they were all different and Dillon High has a little bit of 2 of them. Especially how Riggins and his brother live, and Tyra's general character (via Carlisle, PA that one) and Saracen (my love). The characters all end up evolving, or rather, dealing with lots of stuff. They go up, they go down. You love them, you hate them, you love them again. Just you wait. Because I knows y'alls hatin' on Tyra and Buddy Gerrity right now, but just. you. wait.

Oh, and watch out for Canadian dude who plays Riggins saying "Aboot" instead of "About." HILARIOUS.

Saracen 4 lyfe.

(Okay, next time I'm in town we'll get together and discuss! I'm trying to catch up with season 3 which is airing right now...)

Steve said...

Jessica is right. Every major character is redeemable in this show, just give it time. Even Buddy and Tyra.

And yeah the football scenes are eye-roll worthy, but I wouldn't compare our Massachusetts high school experience to Texas football, where they've discovered the forward pass.