Monday, May 4, 2009

aka the weekend I gained four pounds

Why is it on weekend's I have the most fun, there ends up being more of me to love? I think I've been able to pinpoint it: it's not exactly lack of exercise or eating badly, though that doesn't help. It's two things: alcohol and dessert. Consider me on rehab from these two items for the next two and a half months ok? (And no, I don't think I actually gained four pounds, but the scale sure hurt my ego this morning...)

Anyways... the weekend! After a scheduling quirk where I worked seven straight days last week, my boss was nice enough to spring me for a three-day weekend. Friday, Jeff and I had date night -- Chilis and Wolverine. (Bonus! It was all for "free" because I had saved up gift cards and movie ticket passes -- always a great gift for the Werschaibles). I had roughly a gallon of margarita, two pounds of chicken tacos and a pint of ice cream. I'll do my movie review in abbreviated form right here:

**At the movies with Emily and Jeff: Wolverine**

Disclaimer up front: I love X-men. It was my favorite cartoon growing up, and I've enjoyed the movies up to this point (you mean there can be female superheroes who kick ass?! Thanks Marvel!)

That being said, there was nothing particularly special about this X-Men movie. The plot and acting were OK, the action scenes were pretty good, there weren't enough females but WHATEVER (I can't win every round I guess). I liked Liev Schrieber as Sabretooth as well as Ryan Renolyds as Deadpool, though I wish we got to see more of the latter in the movie.

Now I present to you a short survey. Answer as me.

This movie needed more ... what?

A. Tim Riggins.
B. Remy LeBeau.
C. Taylor Kitsch.
D. Gambit.
E. All of the above.

Here's hoping they appease me in the next movie.

Final Ranking: Three Werschaibles. 

Jeff has been complaining that these rankings do not involve his opinion at all. Well, it's my blog. But in the interest of fairness, he absolutely hated this movie. Go figure.

Moving on....

Late Friday night Jeff got a phone call. This is what I heard coming from him in the other room after he answered the phone.

Jeff: "If you are joking, I will drive down there and punch you in the face."

Charmer, right? Jeff had been offered a ticket to the Celtics game (Game 7) from our friend Grimey. Which left me in the lurch for game-watching plans. Fortunately, Andrew invited me to tag along to his plans (see: I invited myself). We ended up watching the game at his house. Before the game, Andrew took me to the liquor for a 45 minute session to pick out one six-pack, a mix and match that cost like $40. On beer! He kindly let me sample them all. Verdict: I don't like beer. 

Sunday was a full day in Rhode Island. We went down early to watch my cousin/bridesmaid Sarah participate in a half-marathon. Unfortunately, we missed the end of that but showed up right as she began the 5K (yes she did both, and enlisted most of her family to do the 5K as well). As we walked up she insisted we join them, and we did. It was a nice time spent catch up with family, seeing the new baby (yes, 1-month old McKenna made the "walk" too!), and getting a little exercise in on a day where I hadn't planned any.

We then killed a few hours in Cranston (not easy) before heading over to Andrew's for a belated seder/birthday dinner. Every year Andrew's parents host a seder, but this year since the band was in Cali recording their new album (side note: Awesome!) they had to postpone the dinner, which turned into sort of a regular dinner with seder food.

The company was amazing and there were a lot of laughs. I took some pics... First one, band and band girlfriends. 



The only reason I'm posting this pic is it has to go in my Hall of Shame for one of the worst photos I've ever taken. No one is looking at the camera and 50 percent of them have their eyes closed.

Mrs. B, our gracious host, took this better one for me.


Such good times. How was your weekend?

3 comments:

jessica maria said...

HAHAHAHA I laughed so hard at that first picture. For.....so many reasons. When I first saw it scrolling down, I was like, "Wow, that's a really weird picture for her to post" until I saw the explanation. Great stuff.

Must see Wolverine soon...at least there's a lot of Hugh in it :D

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

I LOVE that first pic. My dad is the worst picture taker every.. no warning or 1,2,3.

what do you mean by 2.5 months? i just got nauseous... really? only 2 1/2 months?????????????????

Miss V. said...

lol i love your review of the x-men movie, i actually also wrote one on my blog and i really kinda got into it, take a read..... http://missvsvoice.blogspot.com