Monday, May 11, 2009

Weekend in Review: Killers, burgers, surprises, Star Trek, and more!

Another full-weekend. I don't want to be one of "those" bloggers, who only blogs what's happening in their days (or in my case, on their weekends.) I have stuff to say about stuff, and eloquently, I might add, but my mind is so preoccupied lately, it's hard to sort through it. More thoughtful posts to come after the wedding, I think.

The weekend started on Thursday when Jeff and I decided to hit up Five Guys and see the new Star Trek movie. Five Guys is a burger joint I was introduced to by my coworkers, thank God/damn them for that! The burgers there are insanely good and being on a diet, if you're going to splurge on a burger, it better be good!

Then we were off to see Star Trek. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Woa there, nerdso. Star Trek on opening night?" Well, while I am a proud nerdso, I can say I'm not a Star Trek fanatic... this was more of a 'Why not see it tonight' situation than a 'OMG STAR TREK FTW!!' situation.

The theater was surprisingly uncrowded and un-costumed for opening night.

**At the Movies with Emily and Jeff: Star Trek**

Woa, those features just sneak up on you, don't they? I did enjoy the Star Trek movie. I was surprised how much I remembered from watching the show/movies growing up. My brother was a huge Star Trek: TNG fan, and most of the time, he won the remote battle. He even had a speak Klingon tape (yes, I remember!!)

I think these "revive franchise" movies really work when they go back to the beginning. See: the second most recent Batman and this movie (and to a lesser extent, last week's Wolverine movie). In movie form, we hadn't really seen the origins of the character, so it's fun to create a backstory, without really disrupting the common knowledge of the franchise. 

So you get to see the background of James T. Kirk (even how he was named), the little Spock, Scotty, McCoy and the rest of the gang. You feel part of the movie when you're seeing it come together, until they're all above the Enterprise together. The acting was fab (loved Simon Pegg as Scotty) and the Leonard Nemoy cameo rocked my world. 

A final ranking both Werschaibles approve: Three-and-a-half Werschaibles.

But the weekend was not over! We'll skip over Friday night's disappointing Celtic's game and fast-forward to Saturday and the Killers at Mohegan Sun!

Jeff and I saw the Killers in San Diego, and I have to say, it was the best concert I have ever been to. Sometimes the crowd makes the concert, and people were going nuts. It was one of those you-can-dance-like-a-moron situations and no one judges you.

Before I get to the performance on Saturday, I have to tell you about the strange coinkydink that happened beforehand! Jeff and I were wandering the outside ring of Mohegan, when, lo and behold, I see my two cousins Sarah (my bridesmaid) and Katie! I had no idea Sarah was a Killers fan, but she was there for the show too -- and sitting just two rows away. 


There we are!

Onto the concert... it was great! I was dancing like the fool I am, singing at the top of my lungs to all the songs. What I like about the Killers is there isn't a lot of faffing between songs -- they don't blab a lot, they don't jam (side note to bands: no one wants to watch you jam, unless you're Eric Clapton or something). They just play the songs, which allows them to get a lot of songs in. Twas a great night, here's a pic...



Why do people post pictures like this on their blogs? Concert pics are always terrible. I guess it's to prove they were there. Clearly, you cannot see the real reason I like the Killers so much...


Mmmmm. So all in all a great weekend (Big Baby... got it!). Yours?

No comments: