Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Best reactions

Obviously, one of the most exciting parts of getting engaged was telling the people I love the news. Like I said below, I shared the story immediately with my mother, and four friends. Serendipitously, my entire father's side of the family was getting together for a bar-b-que on Memorial Day (AKA the next day), so I was able to show/tell them all the good news. Typically, my interactions with them went something like this.

Me: Hi! 
Them: Hi!
(Long pause to make sure I had their attention) 
::Stick the ring out::

I find that's really the best way to convey the point "I just got engaged." My 80-year old grandma didn't hear anything anyone said all day, but she knew what the ring meant immediately. 

I was most excited, obviously, to tell my father and brother. My brother got there first, and probably had the best reaction, as I knew he would. Very excited, very hearty laugh (he's a big guy). He has, and always will be, very supporting of me. Jeff asked him to be a groomsman and I know he was truly honored :)

My dad on the other hand.... I showed him the ring, he admired it for .2 seconds, before engaging (ha) Jeff in a completely off-topic conversation about the Yankees, talked through my entire story about NYC, and then asked me to tell him the whole thing again 2 hours later. Sigh. 

Then I headed off to go see my best buds Justin, and Andrew. I've made the joke over and over, that if life were a Patrick Dempsey movie, and I wasn't a bit more of a traditionalist, these two would be my "Men of Honor." There aren't two guys in this world, other than Jeff, that mean as much to me. People talk about their friends as family, well that is true, and more, in this case. I will be scouring my brain to come up with an appropriate place for them at the wedding where  they can feel as special as I think they are.


Of course, it wasn't all sappy moments and teary eyes.


My guys are excited!
*****
Some people might say it's weird or strange to get congrats from people who haven't talked to in years, but it's been undoubtedly my favorite part so far. On facebook and myspace, messages and comments have been pouring in from people I haven't spoken to in YEARS. In a way, I appreciate those comments the most. It's almost like saying although I haven't talked to these people in a while, I made a good enough lasting impression for them to feel happy for me. 

*****
Poor Jeff. He's been noting that even our mutual friends seem to be congratulating me, not him. He put in all the work, bought the ring, planned the weekend, etc. All I had to do was say yes. 

Why is it that most people only congratulate the bride to be?



1 comment:

katieooooo said...

i love this picture- i also love how you made me go into your bathroom to look at it the first time