Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I'm engaged!


It started with a ring of sorts. An everything bagel. The way to my heart. Jeff had gone out to get me breakfast while I showered on the morning of the big secret trip. The trip I pretended to know nothing about. The trip I PRETENDED to ignore the likelihood of my engagement. 
Jeff had been joking all week that we were just going to Wendy's and that I shouldn't be that excited. What he didn't know is that I half hoped he was serious, as I've been on a diet for a month and would die for a burger. After we got in the car, Jeff continued to joke. "We're not stopping at THIS Burger King for a cheesy bacon whopper, but I can't say for sure about the next one."
He was just delaying the inevitable. I knew we were going to NYC. His sway away from I-84 at the end of the exit didn't fool me at all.
We were in the city in record time, and up to the hotel 'The Belevedere' hoping for an early check-in. No luck. But they did offer to store our luggage for us (a duffel bag for me, an over the shoulder bag for Jeff.) Not keeping up my 'pretending' angle for a moment, I said we only had one bag to check, before Jeff swung over his bag. In my mind I screamed, "JEFF! Do not just LEAVE my ring here with these people!" He didn't seem concerned.
Perhaps I should digress for a moment for people who don't know Jeff and I and think it's a bit suspicious I knew so much. We've been dating for almost five years. As much as he's a romantic, and as much as I know he'd love to, he hasn't really ever planned a vacation for us that didn't include a sporting hall of fame. So, I HAD to know THIS was it.
After checking in our bags, we decided to walk up to Times Square, which was just two blocks from the hotel. We decided to go to the ESPN Zone for lunch (employee discount anyone?) and games. On the subsequent walk around Time Square, I saw he was protecting his left side with his hand in his pocket. Finally, I realized what he was doing -- trying to stop me from seeing the ring box in his pants. I breathed a sigh of relief.
We got up into the hotel room, which by the way was GORGEOUS, and changed into our dinner clothes. Now I was s--ting bricks. I was 99% sure it would happen at dinner. Jeff had changed into a shirt and tie, and then put a jacket on. I was confused and told him he didn't need a jacket it was so nice out. He shooed me away to get the elevator. When he came out of the room, the jacket was balled up. Now I was really confused. "Go back and put that jacket in the hotel room if you're not going to wear it." Again, he shooed me away, pulling his arms back in defense of his balled jacket -- which then rattled. I shut my mouth.
We got to the restaurant and I was pleased, but not surprised to see, that it was Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, The Maze. We LOVE Gordon Ramsay (Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares). We walked up to reception where the hostess gave me a coy smile when we told her our name. I looked down, and Jeff's name seemed bigger than the others, with a post-it note next to it. The hostess spoke, rehearsed, "Do you need to go to coat check?" Jeff responded, rehearsed as well, "Yes. I. Do."
Dinner was great. Frogs legs, fois gras, it was a culinary discovery for my picky boyfriend.
It was almost dessert, when I thought 'it' was coming. Around the corner came the waiter with a big silver tray. As he set it down in front of me, an Australian man sitting next to me said 'Ooo, what have you got there?' to which his wife quickly responded, 'Shhh. Don't ruin their moment.' 
Congrats from the restaurant
I opened the tray top and there was a Tiffany box. Immediately, I started to tear up. All the anxiety of the day had gotten to me. Inside the box was another box, and inside, there was a charm ... not a ring. Momentarily, I was confused, before I looked at the charm closer. It said "Marry Me." I looked up and Jeff was down on his knee. "I love you," he said. "And there's no one I'd rather spend all my time with. Will you be my wife."
.... At least, that's what he told me he said. I temporarily blacked out, recovering only to thrust out my hand for the ring. 
The whole thing was fantastic and expertly planned. Jeff's parents had called ahead for champagne to be delivered. The restaurant had a platter delivered with Congratulations written on it. People clapped. The Australian couple cried (we would find out later, they were also in the wedding invitation business). 

Right after the proposal, excuse my teary eyes!

We finished our champagne, and I went home to call all the important people: My mom, Justin (it was his birthday!), Andrew, Katie and Meg. (I was saving to call my dad and brother when I would see them the next day. 
Then Jeff and I headed off to a jazz club and danced. It was perfect. 
************
Since I knew the engagement was coming all week, I was so nervous -- especially the night before we left. I sat in bed, too excited to sleep. I turned over and stared at Jeff, who was fast asleep. I couldn't believe it -- how could he be so calm?

After he asked me to marry him, he confessed, "I was never nervous."




 

2 comments:

Mr. Aromin said...

Here we go...girly wedding blog time...today, woke up brushed my teeth, took a crap, looked ay my wedding ring, watched tv, looked at my wedding ring again, repeat until out of toothpaste and crap...

katieooooo said...

yahhoooo-ski!!