Friday, May 30, 2008

I'm spoiled

*****THIS POST WILL BE ABOUT LOST AND WILL INCLUDE SPOILERS, SO LIVE A LITTLE AND CONTINUE READING***

Ok. So, I'm bad. I'm really bad. I can't help myself when spoilers are out on the internet, I have to look. It started when I was younger, and I unwrapped one Christmas present every year before Dec. 25. When I would read a book, and it was really good, I'd often flip to the back page and read the ending. And just a few days ago, I spoiled a bit of my engagement with such guilty behavior that I can't even mention it here.

So, there's no doubt when Dark UFO's Lost Blogspot revealed they had an entire script summary for the Lost finale two weeks ago, I had to take a peek. A few weeks earlier, on the Kate flash forward episode, the same website had a similar script summary which was nearly 100% accurate upon viewing the show. 

I wanted to peek, I wanted to stop before the last page, but I couldn't.

After reading the script summary, I was disappointed. Frozen wheel? Really, a frozen donkey wheel is the key to making the island go "Ploop!"I was hoping the spoilers weren't true, because the whole episode seemed so standard, so typical, so not-Lost.

Flash forward (ha!) to last night. And unfortunately I found that the episode summary was once again, nearly 100% accurate. The summary didn't include the reunion of Desmond and Penny, which while nice for an emotional storyline conclusion, seemed a bit too easy don't you think? Three years on an island (for Desmond), a constant fight for survival, a HELICOPTER crash, and then wow, there's Penny! After drifting in the ocean for like five minutes. But whatever, they see each other again, it's a wonderful reunion on a Russian ferry.

I was also a little disappointed with Michael's death, because it didn't really wrap up the storyline with Walt, starting center for the New York Knicks and bass in the Harlem Boys Choir. The actor who plays Michael, Harrold Perrineau, commented how it was a teensy bit racist that the black man and his black son don't get their cookie cutter reunion. I have to agree with him. I thought that was odd. The last interaction they showed between Walt and Michael through a window. That's just an unsettling ending. I hope that's not a sign on things to come.

The other thing I didn't like was the idea that they are bringing Locke back to the island. There's buzz that this might be some sort of 'resurrection' and while I'm not a Jesus-freak, I find that offensive. Sorry, I do. Especially with John Locke, of all people.

There were things I did like...
  • I thought the acting was great in this episode. Jack's "We have to lie" speech was great. Michael Emerson, the guy who plays Ben, was fantastic as usual (does this guy get enough credit for playing the most interesting and complex character on TV? His "So?" response to Locke was a perfect note.) 
  • I liked the idea of Sawyer being a hero there, jumping out of the helicopter. Plus, better than him dying in a fiery explosion. Note: I will be CRUSHED when they kill off Sawyer. CRUSHED. And I do believe they will do it, just wait until the last season.
  • The killing off (?) of Jin was heartbreaking, even though Sun seemed over it like 30 seconds later. (Do people ever really mourn on this show?) I don't think he's really dead and was one of the few cliffhangers.
  • Evangelline Lilly is gorgeous. Nuff said.

It's funny, because I'm always complaining "I want more!!!" when it comes to Lost -- in that there are too many cliffhangers, too many questions unanswered. But, everything seemed too nicely wrapped up last night. I mean, the questions are still there "Where did the island go?" "What happened after they left?" and the ever-popular "What the hell is this island/show about?" But I don't feel like there was a "Wow!" moment in the episode like there was last season (I don't include the reveal of Locke in the coffin, because, I knew that was coming.)

Maybe it's my fault for reading the spoilers. I just wish the producers had come through with a more thought-provoking finale. That being said, I still love the show and can't wait until next season. Finale Grade: B-

No comments: