Sunday, November 2, 2008

... and they're so re-wearable!

I can tell you, without a doubt, that handling the whole bridal party situation is one of the most stressful things in planning this wedding. And that's not because my bridesmaids (My cousin Sarah, my best friend since middle school Katie, and my college roommate Meg) are difficult people -- quite the opposite. In fact, they're probably the three nicest, kindest people I know.

So that's what makes it so difficult. I don't want to be a pain. I don't want to "require" them to do anything. I don't want to be a brideszilla. I swear!

I really wanted to find a dress option they'd be happy with. Now, despite my pained statements above, and that I'm aware it's easier for a girl to pick out her own dress if I was REALLY worried about it ... I didn't want to do that. I wanted them to look like the bridesmaids, not just guests at the wedding. I wanted people to know these were the three special women I chose to stand next to me on a very, very important day.

I organized a shopping trip yesterday to the Wrentham Outlets. I didn't really want to deal with a bridal shop because I didn't want to worry about the time it takes to ship things from there, alterations (which they always seem to nail you with..) and the fact that bridal store bridesmaids dresses always look... so bridesmaidy. I was hoping if we bought it from a retail store there would be a higher percent chance they would be re-wearable.

So I had a three option color palate: sage green, bright blue or hot pink. And since there wasn't an exact shade I was trying to match, I figured I would be OK finding a few options.

Well.. not exactly. We walked around in a few stores where there were some really ugly, trampy dresses. (Katie tried on a pink one that was so short, it was practically a shirt). 

We headed over to BCBG which I had scouted when I went to Wrentham a few weekends ago. I thought they might have some options there... and they did!


This one looks better in the picture than it actually did on Katie. All three of my bridesmaids have tremendous figures, but for some reason this dress made Katie look frumpy!



This one wasn't really in the running, but Katie wanted to try it on anyway. Haha. If I was going to agree to pink, and I wasn't crazy about that, I wanted HOT pink, not bubblegum pink. Oh well.


This is the winner I think!!!! Not exactly the shade of blue I was looking for, and I had originally wanted shorter dresses, but this looked so nice on them it was hard to ignore. Katie's dress (middle) in this pic is one size too small and Sarah's (right) is one size too big... and Meg's is just right! They are slightly more than I wanted them to spend, but they seemed ok with it. They are going to order them and hope the in between size fits!

... and I think they are rewearable! Right? Right!?!?! Ahh... the wish of every bride.

After bridesmaids dress shopping, we split up to head to our next destination, and Meg and I stopped off at Spike's -- where I haven't been in forever. Oh hi, T-bird chicken. Yummmm!

I can't write much more because the rest of the afternoon was spent on a secret mission (just a secret from Jeff) before I took the girls to my venue because they hadn't seen it before. The sun was setting on the beach and it looked so nice.

Less than nine months...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you ladies made a very lovely choice= subtly sexy and a beautiful color for a beach wedding. All in favor say "i" I!
Love, Gracie
MOB-now its your turn to get looking at the dresses!

jessica maria said...

Wow, that final dress is really lovely! I have five girls as my bridesmaids, and they're in other states and country's so they are picking they're own dresses (via my veto power) of a certain color, length, and slightly vintage-inspired. WOO!

But that last dress - I kinda want it in white and get married in THAT. haha jk. It looks so flattering, though!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

absolutely gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I simply love the way those dresses look on you.! You are so cute.