Tuesday, November 18, 2008

November 18

You know when, after Halloween sometime, you walk into a mall and it's like Christmas threw up everywhere? There's red, green and silver every where you look and you're thinking, "Damn, when did it become Christmas time?" Then the commercials start soon after, and you're looking at your bank account, budgeting holiday funds, squinting real hard to find Christmas spirit among the ever decreasing number?

I didn't make it to the mall. Sometime last week, Christmas got sick all over my apartment.

My name is Emily, and I'm the wife-to-be of a Christmas fanatic.

He broke out the Advent calender a two weeks ago. He bought this thing last year and spent many nights crafting tiny crayon and construction paper "instructions" ... he didn't quite finish all 25 because they got increasingly complicated. He finished them a few days ago.

The Advent calendar.

OK, I sort of love the penguin. It's one of my favorites.

The snowman ain't that bad, either.

I had no idea he was such an artist! ;)

Apparently, this is what I'll be doing Dec. 18.

Last Thursday, after I returned home from urgent care, I passed out on the couch due to lack of sleep and a double dose of benadryl. When I woke up, I felt like I was in Santa's workshop.

I don't even know where he got some of this stuff! There are at least a dozen snowmen in my house, and I don't know how they got here. We have a tiny shovel on the wall that says "Snow Days Welcome" (they aren't) and Jeff came home a few nights ago with a Santa doormat. "It was only three dollars!!!"

We have stockings, too.

And then there it was. The Christmas tree stand. Empty.

"When do you want to go get the tree?" he asked, clearly excited. "We won't be here that long to enjoy it."

"We're not leaving to go to South Carolina until the 23rd of December!" I said.

Listen, I love Christmas. I get annoyed when people say it's a commercial holiday. I like spending time with the people I love. I commit a good deal of time to thinking about thoughtful presents. It's one of my favorite things to do.

But Christmastime starts, for me, the day after Thanksgiving. 

Jeff is making me feel like the Grinch. And I don't mean to be. It's just ... it's just too early.

It's one of the things I love about him though. He gets SO EXCITED about little things. It's cute. It really is.

But it will be cuter on November 28. Until then, bah.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you both! Christmas is a wonderful, joyfilled time of year and it is fun to decorate your home.
However, remember that Christmas is not snowmen and riendeer and trees. It is the celebration of the birth of Jesus and that should be your focus.
Can't wait until you come to SC. I'll be decorating the day after Thanksgiving.

Emily said...

Half of the advent calendar items say "Today, focus on Jesus." ;)

Can't wait to come down.

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

aw emily! i can totally relate. i LOVE christmas, but I agree that it should not start until the day after thanksgiving. otherwise by the time christmas comes we will be sick of looking at all the red and green and decorations and what not.

i was AMAZED to hear xmas music on nov 1st and to see decorations too. madness, i say. MADNESS!

(p.s. the advent calendar is adorable as well as all of your decorations. should i wait until november 28th to tell you that?)

jessica maria said...

hahahaha! amazing!

Jeff S said...

That doesn't look like a Christmas movie on TV.