Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sticker shock

I know you've been DYING all day to hear what I thought about last night's election ... but first, this post I saved from yesterday...

*****

I am writing this post on Nov. 4, and if you are seeing this, it means Barack Obama was elected president of the United States.

Why am I writing this? It's a confession. It's to purge my embarrassment, my shame, my disappointment.

I didn't vote.

I've been reading blogs and news all day, facebook statuses telling me to go vote, who voted and who they voted for. And I can tell you this for sure -- as good as my friends and family undoubtedly felt voting for the next president of the US today, or in the days before this, is as equally bad as I feel.

I wish I could give you a good excuse, but I don't have one. I attempted to register in Mass., but found out I didn't have the appropriate documents. I held out hope that I could still vote in Rhode Island, the state I voted in 2004 and am licensed in ... and while I determined it was technically possible for me to do so, I'd have to submit an address I no longer lived at. I didn't want to risk voter fraud.

None of these are good excuses, because I could have resolved these issues if I wasn't so lazy sometimes. You would have thought my passion for this election would tip the scales, but ... I don't know what happened. I can only PROMISE that it didn't happen again ... and hope that I wasn't the one vote that mattered.

I want you to know that I wish I had voted in Massachusetts, as they had some really interesting questions on the ballot (Elimination of the state income tax (NO), Legalization of up to one ounce of marijuana (PROBABLY NO) and Elimination of the state's dog racing industry (PROBABLY YES). I would have voted for Barack, obviously, and am hoping at 3:20 p.m. on Nov. 4, that those who did get their shit together, did. 

I know there will be a lot of you who will be disappointed in me and I don't blame you.

But I'll be back to vote Obama in 2012.

*******

Clearly, I was in a pretty somber mood yesterday afternoon, feeling very guilty about not voting. As the day continued and the election results rolled in, and the good news was coming, I started to shake off some of the sadness. And then the official news was in ... Obama won!

I was tearing up during Obama's speech, thinking how proud I was for others picking up the slack for my wayward self. Now that we've put the silliness of the Bradley effect behind us, hopefully this victory can go a long way in healing old wounds.

I thought McCain's consolation speech was dignified and classy, qualities I admired about him before he got in over his head in this election. Hopefully, we'll still have that old John McCain when the dust settles.

Obama's victory speech -- well, that spoke for itself. What struck me was the quietness of it (I saw you, Howard Dean, in the audience), the calm, the even-temper. I love how he acknowledged those that didn't vote for him -- which was just a few of my 'friends' according to my facebook (And to you guys, I understand why you didn't vote for Obama, I do. I know some of you are staunchly pro-life and have family in the military. And I really don't feel that Obama will let you down.)

I am so glad to be soon saying goodbye to a president who has less than 30 percent approval rating and ushering in a president who had more than 65 million people believe in him. 

I was originally a Hilary supporter, and I understand how African Americans are feeling, because I would have been as equally proud to see a woman achieve this role. We still have time, but I'm fully behind Obama for the next four years.

Today, I've been soaking it all in (OK -- and Jeff and I saw a movie and got lunch) and am eager to see what Obama will do in the first 100 days.

As a quick aside -- I'm disappointed in what has happened in California, Arkansas, Florida and other states who, in California's case, awarded rights to chickens and took them away from humans. It really is sad.

Anyways -- that's enough seriousness from me!! I am no politico. Back to the regular Emily, who's a little happier, tomorrow.

4 comments:

jessica maria said...

No worries about not voting, Emily. Honestly, I know the bureacratic process of trying to switch voting states and looking into absentee ballots is a lot. But, glad you'll be ready next time!

The most interesting thing was calling my staunchly Republican father on election night. He's retired military - loved Reagan, Bush Sr, and hated Clinton. We hardly talk politics because we differ in opinion a lot. So election night was the first time I asked him this election season who he voted for. He and my mother and brother all voted for Obama. I was completely overwhelmed with pride. I wouldn't have faulted him for voting McCain - he was in the military, something my father could relate to. But I was totally surprised! And so happy! He said, "He's the change this country needs." And my dad is the most patriotic person I know...and I think it's amazing that he sees what the majority of this country saw as well, and Obama was able to convince him, super conservative, to vote for him.

I would have written this all in my blog if my dad didn't read it on a daily basis. HA.

jessica maria said...

and YAY Obama!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

jessica- same with me. i thought my dad (who loved clinton but also loved reagan) would have voted for mccain, but he voted for obama. said the country needs change.

Emily said...

@ Jessica and Sabrina -- I'm actually surprised to hear that both of your fathers voted for Obama considering their circumstances. Jess, with your father in the military and Sabrina, because your family owns a business. But I am so so happy to hear that they kept an open mind!!!