Thursday, August 20, 2009

Epic nights and days

Later that night at the hotel....

Uh, no, not that. You think I'm going to blog about that?!?

I will tell you that when Jeff and I got back to the hotel, we were exhausted, sweaty and very, very happy. Since we hadn't really had any alone time all day, we talked about everything that happened. Well, I talked, Jeff whispered -- his voice was beyond shot. I had him recite his vows again, and it was awesome to hear them. 

Then came the thing every couple does on their wedding night... opens up all their gifts!

Of course, you don't get married to get gifts. But it is an overwhelmingly happy feeling when you open cards and gifts from your loved ones that are beyond generous and we are so so appreciative (Thank you cards coming -- we special ordered them, but as soon as we get them, we'll be writing like maniacs!)

Most things were monetary or off our registry but we got two "different" gifts that we loved: First, a handmade cutting board from my college friend Stephanie and her husband Adam. Very awesome and sweet. 

Second ... a little backstory here: My best friend Andrew called me a few weeks before the wedding to ask me what he should get us. Oh, Drew. He was as much asking because he didn't know I couldn't TELL HIM what to buy me and because he didn't really know what a person is supposed to buy for a wedding. Knowing his struggling artist status (not for long -- check out www.myspace.com/MontyAreI for a new song!!) I of course told him not to worry about it, his presence, and performance at our ceremony was truly enough.

Naturally I wasn't surprised when we opened his gift that night and saw what he got us: movie tickets. How perfect! Jeff and I love movies, it's our favorite date night. It's as good as cash, or better for us. That wasn't all. Andrew and I have a history of writing epic cards/letters/e-mails/IM conversations/phone calls/yearbook entries to each other. Of course, he didn't let me down on his wedding card, which was about five pages long. I read it outloud to Jeff, and was bawling by the end. I hope he doesn't mind if I share a little bit of it here!!

He basically had written out what he would have said had he given a speech at the wedding, but ended the letter with this:

And just earlier that day, when Emily told me about being involved in the wedding, she was on the phone with my girlfriend trying to convince her to ditch her friends and come celebrate the 4th of July with our friends. We weren't sure if we could make it, but Em wouldn't take no for an answer. After I got off the phone I asked Jackie is Emily was pushy, because she can kind of be demanding sometimes. She always makes plans ahead of time and sticks to them. Which is the complete opposite of Jackie and I. So Jackie asks me, "If you guys are so different, how are you friends?" Ya know, that's a good question.

I don't have the answer. I just know that I'm thankful for our friendship and I'm confident it will stand strong for many years to come, as I know your marriage will, and your commitment to each other. As someone who cares deeply about your happiness, Emily, I'm thankful you and Jeff found each other. Congratulations. May you have a lifetime of love together. You deserve each other.
I'm sure it wasn't Andrew's intention to leave me crying on my wedding night, but what can I say? I'm so thankful for his friendship, for all my friends, for the intense network of support I have that only grew stronger on my wedding day.

The morning after our wedding, my mother hosted a brunch across the street from the hotel for her family, the wedding party and anyone who came from out of town and stayed in Newport. I was thankful for the extra few moments with those who came to see me. And the breakfast was great too!

It was especially awesome as we were able to snap a few epic pictures. You see, it was the first time in seven or so years that my entire mother's side of the family was together. 


Here we are. My grandfather is in the middle... his three children to your left, and his grandchildren (5 of us) and his great grandchildren (three... with one on the way via my cousin Lisa) and all the spouses! I definitely treasure this picture and was happy my wedding could be the setting for it.

After the brunch we all said goodbye and my friend Meg and her husband Troy drove us back up to Boston. It was fun to be with them the day after because they too were recently married and knew the ins and outs and stresses and everything so it was great to talk to them. When we got to their apartment, Troy showed me some of the fabulous photos he snapped of our day, our first real pictures, which were amazing and you can see them here. Thanks Troy!

Meg drove us to the airport a few hours later where we were going to catch our flight to London. 

Are you ready to hear about the honeymoon?

1 comment:

Kelly said...

FYI- as much as I LOVE reading about your wedding, because truly it sounds like everything a wedding should be, I am dying to hear about the honeymoon and the food at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant. ;-)

Honestly, Emily, your wedding was stunning and best of all, after reading your posts, it's clear that it wasn't all for show. It truly was a genuine joining of two people who are so in love. Congratulations to you and Jeff!