Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'll never be too old or too cool

Remember how I've been saying how real it was feeling? From the dress, to seeing the venue?

Well I'm here to tell you it doesn't get any realer than when you're about to take your first steps down the aisle. 

You open the doors, you get to the top of the stairs.


You see your dad at the bottom. He's crying. Your heart melts a little. This is your moment. 

You're talking to your dad to relax a little bit. It's a long aisle, by the way. You get halfway down and see your best friend playing the keyboards. After all he was worrying about, it sounds absolutely perfect. You knew it would. You smile at him. 


You realize that all this time you haven't been looking at your fiance. You finally lock eyes and it's incredible. You see him with a look on his face you've never seen before. You've seen him happy, you've seen him excited, but you've never seen THIS face, in the six years you've been dating, this sort of exhuberant joy bursting out of his skin and his smile and his eyes.



You hand off your bouquet to your maid of honor and grab your soon to be husband's hands. You take a moment -- while the priest is talking about who knows what -- to look around and see your friends and family all gathered there. Don't they look nice? Where is ... oh, there he is. You feel appreciative of all the people that have come and instantly forget those who RSVP'd no. These are all the people you wanted there. These are your people.


The priest asks if you vow to love honor protect and you do. Jeff says, "Absolutely I do" paying homage to Rocky. Yes, Rocky references somehow make it into your wedding ceremony. 

There's more talking by the priest. You take this time to look around a little more. A lot of beachgoers have stopped to watch your ceremony. There's a dude, with a hairy chest, plopped on a bench behind the chairs drinking out of a gatorade bottle. You look off in the distance and see a guy crouched with a camera. Hey, Jeff has that same shirt and tie combination -- his sister bought it for him at Sears. Oh, that makes sense. It's his sister's boyfriend, Rob. And he's 50 yards down the beach taking pictures... why? You can't wait to tease him about it later.

It's time for the vows. You told the priest you had to go first, you wouldn't make it if you had to go second. You take a breath and say: 

I couldn’t love anyone more than I love you… 

I love that I can tell the same stupid joke over and over and you still think it’s funny, and I vow to keep telling them as long as you keep laughing.

I love that you respect, support and believe in me, and I vow to stand by your side and hold your hand through everything.

I love that you give me a kiss on the head every morning when you leave for work and I vow to always return the favor before you fall asleep at night.

I love that you think I’m beautiful without any makeup on, and I vow never to wear this much make up again.

I love that we’re perfect for each other, that we can have fun doing nothing at all, that we can always be ourselves, and I vow to always make time for us. 

I love that you are my partner, my teammate, my best friend, and I vow to be your loving and faithful wife, supporter and closest friend always.

You think it went over well. You can't wait to hear Jeff say the super secret vows he's been writing for months. He opens his mouth and practically nothing comes out. His voice is still gone and it cracks when he says ... 

Emily, you’re my best friend, my accomplice, my playmate and one true love.
You make me feel happier than I ever imagined and more loved than I ever thought possible.

You’ve got a lot going for you…
You’re beautiful (of course). You’re smart. And you appreciate life’s finer things … sports, Seinfeld re-runs and pizza.
You have impeccable dance moves. And you can always, always make me laugh.

Truly, “I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”
So on this special day I promise to give you the best of myself – to be the man you deserve.

I promise to love and care for you.
I’ll always be honest, kind, patient and forgiving.
I will remind you, everyday, how beautiful you are.

I know that it’s the little things that make all the difference.
I will open doors and never go to sleep angry.
I will never be too old or too “cool” to hold hands.

I promise to demonstrate my appreciation and gratitude for you every day.
I will be flexible – but please consider that on occasion, I just may have a point.
And I’ll let you take the credit.

I will try in every way to be worthy of your love.

Through the best and the worst,
Through the easy and the difficult,
Whatever may come, I will always be there.

Ahh... you love him. The line where he says he'll "never be too old or too cool" to hold your hand is your favorite.

It's time for the rings. "With this ring, I pledge my love and faithfulness."



There's more to the wedding, but you just want to give him the kiss already. Finally you can.

And you're married. And it's wonderful. 


3 comments:

RhodeyGirl said...

thanks for the midday breakdown.

beautiful post emily. i am so happy for you both!

katieooooo said...

well if it's not real until it's on blog, then it's official! you're married!

Anonymous said...

Love how you wrote this.