Monday, August 17, 2009

Party time

I know, I have not been brief, but I'll try to be now.

So, we're married.

After walking down the aisle as husband and wife,  Jeff and I take a minute to ourselves behind the bumper boat tent (don't ask.) I thought we were alone, but we weren't, and it's a good thing as this is my favorite series of photos in the whole bunch.






Happy and relieved, that pretty much sums it up right?

After we had a couple of hugs of congratulations, the wedding party headed down to the beach to take some pictures. It's funny that it appears like the pictures were effortless and caught in the moment, but in reality they took several minutes to set up, and were held for several minutes on top of that. Especially this one:


The result is funny and cool, and I'll always remember how we laughed trying to set this up. I don't want to load up this blog with a bunch of pro pics which you can all see here and here. Needless to say I'm thrilled with them, although at the time I was ready to hurry up to see everyone at the party!

We finally made it up there at the tail end of the cocktail hour, in time to snap a few pics on the carousel. Finally it was time for introductions and our first dance.

Our bridal party planned on doing fun introductions, but I guess they were rushed because the dance floor was all the way around the room, but I would have missed them anyway.

Our first dance was to Joshua Radin's acoustic version of "Only You."


It was great.

Then came the speeches, probably my favorite part of the reception. The order was my maid of honor, Katie, our best man Steve and my best friend Justin. I plan to try and post the video of the speeches when I get back our DVD, if that's possible, because I hardly remember then except to remember they were awesome. 

Katie actually left her speech at my table, so I can give you a little excerpt here:

She started by introducing herself and then said:

I met Emily in September of 1995. In June 1997, Emily wrote the following in my Hugh B. Bain middle school yearbook:

"Katie, well, we've had some difficult times. We've had a lot of fun but we've also annoyed each other a lot. But, we have all next year to make up for the fights. All best friends fight. You are my best friend and will be for a long time. Can't wait for Emerald Encore! Love, Emily."

--skipping ahead--

Emster, Emmy, Em, my homie made of foamie... I am completely happy for you and Jeff. I have been continually impressed with the way Jeff treats you and how committed you are to creating a life together. You are both very deserving of each other's companionship, care, commitment, honesty, humor and love. 

When we were on one our bridesmaids planning adventures, Emily said about Jeff, "He's all I need."

I hope you continue needing each other for as long as you both live.
Isn't that so sweet? I loved it, especially her grabbing out of our yearbook. That totally sounds like something I'd have said back then. I clearly hadn't grasped what it meant to be a good friend to someone. I'm glad Katie stuck by me while I figured it out.

Steve and Justin's speeches were both great, teasing us for our sports loving ways, Jeff's Yankee love, my bad haircuts and dorky band geek ways, and loads of other things I can't wait to listen to again. 



This was pretty much my face during all of the speeches. It's sort of an "awwww, shucks" face.


What truly great friends I have. 

OK, tomorrow, I'll wrap up the reception!!

No comments: