Monday, February 23, 2009

Post-Oscar thoughts.

  • Why do people always bemoan how long the show is? The show is long EVERY YEAR. Is this a surprise? What annoys me are pointless musical numbers, tributes, performances. That mid-show dance routine with the Mama Mia crap, Beyonce lipsinking and for real? the kids from high school musical? I felt like Amy Poehler.... really?! If this had been on NBC, they would NOT have been there.
  • Doesn't Bill Maher realize it's just as annoying to push atheism as it is to push religion?
  • The speech by the screenwriter of Milk was the best of the night, hands down. When he quoted Harvey Milk saying to the gay children of America, 'You are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value,' goosebumps!
  • Is it wrong I was disappointed with the Ledger family's speech? Just seemed generic. Wish it had come off the cuff, from the heart. Seemed like they knew he'd win, so they wrote this prepared speech. It just wasn't as heartfelt as I'd have hoped. But then again, who am I to judge?
  • Was OK with all the winners, I suppose I have to see Vicky Cristina Barcelona now and see what all the fuss is about. Sort of wanted to see Rourke win JUST to see what would happen, what he would say.
  • I was hoping Ricky Gervais would make a guest appearance. Just sayin'.
  • Was I the only one who was not pleased with the amount of Jen-Angelina reaction shots? Am I one of the only people who still cares about this "feud"? Did Jen even walk the red carpet?
  • The least relevant kudos ever: Ryan Seacrest, whatever you think about him, does an EXCELLENT job with red carpet stuff. He always has relevant questions, knows exactly how long an interview should last, doesn't gush. I think that's gotta be harder than it looks -- with all those people!? However, he did gaffe at one point. Interviewing the kids from Slumdog, he went to go ask one of the young boys a question. One of the older ones jumped in, "He doesn't speak English." So Seacrest asked the older one, "Can you translate?" The older one re-iterated "He doesn't speak English." Ha. Not every Indian person speaks the language Seacrest.
  • Liked having the previous winners present the awards. Nice touch.
  • Fashion faves: Freida Pinto, loved the color. Anne Hathaway -- carpet dress, not performance dress. Thought Penelope Cruz looked nice, but don't know if I would have liked it in person. I liked Kate's dress but didn't LOVE it. Thought Angelina and Meryl Streep looked better than usual -- but that's not saying much. Tina Fey looked fab but my favorite was Taraji Henson. Bet we'll see some wedding dresses that look like that soon.
  • Worst dressed: I can't even be mad at Sophia Loren. I'm convinced she thought she was showing up to the 1985 Oscars. Steve commented to me: "Ahhh! Get off my TV" and I shot back, "Hey, she's 75, she looks pretty damn good." To which he countered, "No. I live in Florida. We have old people here. She looks like a corpse." Ouch.
Any other thoughts?

3 comments:

Steve said...

Ricky Gervais should have been nominated for his brilliant work as Bertram Pincus in "Ghostown."

jessica maria said...

I'm writing my Oscar recap right now! But none of my fashion pictures are loading :( :( :(

Freida is one of my best dressed -obvs, obvs, obvs. Should be up tonight!!

Vicky Cristina is a good movie, but not great. Scarlett sucks, Javier and the Rebecca Hall are good, but Penelope - she's captivating from the moment she steps onscreen.

And I like the musical number! HAHA mainly bc it reminded me of my grandma, and I bet she would have loved it!

jessica maria said...

also i left a comment on your fianz's blog and i hope i didn't scare him.