Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine's Day Redux

I can't let an amazing meal go by un-blogged.

Last Saturday night, Jeff took me to the Capital Grille, which brought back fond food memories for both of us. We had been once before. I can't exactly remember the occasion, perhaps college graduation?, but like that time it was a splurge we couldn't afford but did it anyway.

I was legitimately excited all day, and already had planned out the menu <---- nerd alert! I was happy that they didn't adopt a prix fixe menu, which usually jacks up the price for the same food. We had one V-day disaster when this happened, resulting in me bitching out the hostess, and us leaving hungry. 

We rolled up to da Grille around 5 p.m. (our reservation was for 5:15, yet there was no Early Bird specials?!). We of course, immediately regretted bringing Jeff's hoopdie instead of my car, as there was complementary (mandatory?) valet parking. We both winced getting out of the two-door Hyndai Accent with the pizza crust in the back seat (seriously honey, can we throw that away? Or feed it to Andrew?) But whatever. 

We walked in and were seated right away. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a table of four that included two young children. WARNING RANT UPCOMING WARNING ... who the heck brings KIDS to a fancy restaurant??! They also had no intention of keeping them quiet or under control. Look, I know I don't have kids and I know that parents deserve a nice meal even if they can't find a babysitter, but who takes their kids to an expensive steakhouse? I don't even think there is a kids menu? And did they have to order cappucinos to make it the LONGEST DINNER EVER?!?! BOOOOOOOOOO /Rant.

Um, I didn't let it bother me too much.

We sat down, moved the chairs a bit closer to each other and ordered drinks. The CG has this amazing pineapple martini called the "Stoli Doli" or as I like to call it, "Super expensive flavored vodka!" Jeff got a Corona. We toasted to everlasting love (not really) and I dove into the bread basket with childlike enthusiasm. The butter was OMG good.

First came the Wedge salad. We split it and I swear they  give you a bigger portion when you ask to split. The salad led to this exchange.

Me: "Oh man, these bacon chunks are so huge!"
Jeff: "That's bacon, I thought they were croutons?!?"

Yeah, it was good. Possibly the highlight for me. Most people who know me, know I love bacon. I've often wondered aloud why they don't have beggin' strips for humans? Jeff could rattle the package and I could come running in "I smell bacon and its BACON!!!" I suppose we have real bacon, but that's not really the point is it?

For dinner I got a dry rubbed steak with shallot butter and Jeff got a balsamic glazed porterhouse. Both were amazing, but we both agreed mine was better. I only could eat half, and so could Jeff, so we took the rest home. 

Just because we were too full to finish dinner doesn't mean we weren't going to get dessert?! I picked out three chocolate based options off the menu and let Jeff chose which one he wanted. We ended up with a chocolate ice cream sandwich with homemade chocolate ice cream that Jeff called "the best dessert he ever had" which was music to my ears. See, I grew up in a house where dessert was the norm after dinner, both at home, and in restaurants. Jeff's family was just the opposite. I've converted Jeff into a dessert person now ;)

I decided to order one more drink, though I probably shouldn't because it put me from full to over-the-top my stomach is bursting full. Seriously. I didn't feel sick, surprisingly, but I was PAINFULLY full. I thought I was going to burst like the guy from Se7en. Yikes.

We went home and watched Wall-E, which was a perfect topper on our Valentine's Day. Jeff fell into a food coma around 10 and I stayed up until after midnight playing Mario Kart with my boss (via internet connection on the Wii.) Overall, a great day!

Here's a pic we snapped in the restaurant:

I really love this guy.

2 comments:

Jeff S said...

that desert was goooooood.

love you too.

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

awwww!

sounds like such a nice date and meal!