Monday, August 25, 2008

Dog Days

With the Summer Olympics over and still almost a month until new tv starts, I find myself bored with regular television and reverting to some series I've missed over time ...

The first is the TV show, "Intervention." It's on A&E, and you've probably heard about it considering it's one of the most 'talked about' shows on television (says Werschaible Monthly!) I got sucked into it one night at 1 a.m. It was an episode about a crack addict. He had once been a world-class bike rider, even making it onto the US Postal Service Team (of Lance Armstrong fame). Then, ironically, he got kicked off the team for acting unprofessional to King Lance, and there went the downfall ... At the beginning of the show, he's living on the street, doing crack 7 times a day. The show follows him, then stages an intervention with his friends and family. He initially refuses, but concedes to go to rehab, and turns up 3 months later much better.

It was a pretty emotional episode, I thought, then I watched some other ones. I feel like I have a lump in my throat through most of these shows. One of my personal mantras is that every person has an addiction -- it's not always drugs, or alcohol, or gambling. Sometimes it's food (me), cheating, lying, debt. I bet if you really thought about it, you have an addiction too, one that either is, or could be, destructive to you. 

And while I don't have any drug addicts or alcoholics in my family/friends, I do have those addicted to food and gambling and cheating and spending money. And during their worst times, they remind me of these people. How hard it is to get through to them. Just makes you think ...

Anyways, it's good TV. I'm always rooting for the person to succeed, and not just for the cameras.

****
Jeff is a big fan of renting TV series and watching them on DVD. Past series have included: Arrested Development, Six Feet Under, Nip/Tuck, The Office (first season), etc. We also rented the last series of Dexter, which was a little disturbing, but good. We just rented the first disc of the second season tonight.

Concurrently, we just started watching Deadwood, aka a show my mom would hate. I'm not too high on it, although I think it's OK. I can't help but somewhat dislike shows where women are cast as secondary characters, even when the time period dictates it (in this case the late 1800s). Doesn't keep my interest all that much. As of the first 5 episodes we have three central female characters: One's a prostitute, one's a drug addict and one's a moron. Not exactly a lot to look upon.

Plus all the swearing is a little distracting. IMDB trivia states "The word "f***" and its derivatives are used 2,980 times throughout the series. There are 36 episodes total, which means the f-word is used about 82 an episode, or a little more than once a minute. I would say the word "c***sucker" is used just about as much, and they're pretty liberal with the other C word. (Hence why my mom would hate this show.)

Watching the fourth episode I turned to Jeff and said, "Did they REALLY swear this much back then?" He paused, then said, "How would I know?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They did swear like that back then. I would know because I was there.

jessica maria said...

i LOVE intervention. i tend to cry during the actual interventions when the families (especially dads and grandmas) start crying and pleading. OY! okay, the craziest one was the dust huffer - i shared from jezebel, and an alcoholic who would take limos across the states cause she was rich and therefore didn't need anybody else's $$ to continue living/dying. okay, that was long. :)

but i'm not done! i am THE biggest fan of tv on dvd. i have soooo many series. all the ones you've listed, and a few more to suggest - VERONICA MARS (soooo smart & good), and House is always great for marathon viewing. My roommate and I actually only watch House on dvd every year - it just came out, so we're going to have a usual marathon weekend in september!