Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekend in Review: Girl Time, Calorie fest and zzzzzzz

Friday night, I drove into the city to see my girl Meg and celebrate a mini-bachelorette party in Beantown. Before I left, I met Jeff at work for a late lunch/snack and he surprised me with a new mix-CD which was much appreciated, as I was a little over the one I had in rotation at the moment. This was one of his best CDs yet -- I'll have him send me the track list and I'll post later.

Anyway, I managed to get into the city in good time, and found a parking spot right near my old apartment, which gave me time to reminisce on the way to the T. Every time I go back to Boston, since I've left, I can't help but feel a bit of heartache -- I really loved living there. I loved how I could walk, and did walk, to everything, food, entertainment, friends. While my current living situation has its benefits (it's, well, a 2-bedroom house and costs less $500 less a month than our 2.5 rat-infested crap hole in Boston did), I was still a little bit jealous of Meg's living situation.

Well, who wouldn't? She and her fiancee (1 month!) own a condo right next to Faneuil Hall. It's brand new and marbled up ... the only thing ruining it is a f-in cat. (Side note: All my close friends own cats or are cat enthusiasts -- even the guys. What gives? Am I the only one with a grievance against furballs?) 

So I chatted with Meg and Troy a bit about their upcoming nuptials (in style at the Sheraton in Boston), before Kara and Katie got there and it was time to party! While this b-party was going to be tame in a lot of ways, we couldn't help but sneak in one mandatory humiliation: making Meg wear a fakey veil.

Made by Katie (and her mom.)


She was THRILLED. (No we didn't make her wear the blusher.)
 
So after pushing Meg out the door, we headed over to Finale where we had reservations. They were very accommodating to us (see Meg, the veil works!) We ordered a round of fancy drinks (erg, $12 for a mixed drink?), two appetizers (truffle mac and cheese and roasted vegetable quesadillas -- yum) and three desserts (molten chocolate cake, creme brulee and tiramasu) but they threw in an extra Boston Cream pie for our occasion. Desserts were yum! and we waddled out of the restaurant down the street to the Rattlesnake where they had a Sublime CD on and we mellowed out.

For the most part, we weren't approached by guys, but there were a group that came up to us when we first walked in -- they seemed jovial until Katie told one of the guys that his ring looked like a thimble, to which he responded "Dis cost me like $200 bucks!" and stormed off. Oh well ;)

We decided to liven things up a bit with some shots (Red Headed Sl-ts), which Meg was wary of.

Before and ...

... after. Note Meg's happy look ;)

After a while we left the Rattlesnake (putting our bar tab on Troy's credit card... hehe) and headed over to Vox where we found a darkened table and let loose some girl talk, which I think all of us had been severely lacking recently. (I know I have!!) By the time we got out, my feet could no longer take the shoes I was wearing and we hailed a cab. We went back to Meg's condo for more girl talk before we retired to our sleeping quarters.

However, I couldn't sleep at all (street noise, uncomfortable pull-out, cat? who knows), and I stared at the ceiling until the morning when Troy offered to drive me to my car and I took off home at about 7 a.m.

About 5 minutes from my house, considering a stop at D&D, I realized I had forgotten my debit card at Rattlesnake, and spent the next few minutes cursing myself. I had to work at 10 a.m., and was hoping I could sneak into the apartment, cuddle up with my guy, and grab a catnap before I started. I was successful, but beyond tired when I woke up to start working at 10. Longest. Shift. Ever.

I left Jeff to his own devices to pick out a movie to rent and to my horror he chose Cape Fear, which is good in theory (Scorcese movie, DeNiro stars) but I told him right upfront, "You will hate this movie."

He did. We did. We didn't finish, and went to bed early because I was EXHAUSTED and had to work AGAIN this morning at 10 a.m. I did not want to wake up. Fortunately it has been slow so I've been able to catch up on some Olympics watching (badminton anyone?). We'll head to the gym tonight (a MUST considering the amount of crappy food I ate this weekend.)


A pic of the girls (from left): Kara, me, Meg and Katie ... the latter two my beautiful bridesmaids!



No comments: