Thursday, January 15, 2009

At the movies, with Emily and Jeff

I've decided to start a new feature here on the blog called "At the Movies with Emily and Jeff" Ohmygod what a clever title!

Quick aside (I know, already): Jeff is part of the party planning committee at his office. If memory serves me right, he is the only male member. But that doesn't mean his ribbon with the party planning committee logo is any less masculine. Anyways, Jeff fancies himself the star of this operation and at the first meeting of the year, he has all sort of suggestions. One is a movie at lunch idea, ala the Office. Watch one hour of a movie every day for a couple of days, maybe do this once a month. They have a big projector in their empty cafeteria that would be perfect for this.

So Jeff says they should come up with a name for it. Another member thinks hard. She comes up with "Lunch Movie." Jeff says, "That's the best you can do?" She pushes for his suggestion. He declares that they should call it "Screen Feast."

Well, I thought I came up with a much better title when Jeff was telling me the story. "Munchies." It's like Movies + Lunch. It's Munchies. Get it! Jeff wasn't impressed. 

Back to the new feature. Jeff and I go to a lot of movies. We go to an average of one a week, and sometimes more than that. We are the quintessential dinner and a movie couple, prematurely old-fashioned. We particularly like matinees. Whatever, it's our thing, and I love it.

I always think when I get home that I should write a review for the movie I've seen, to educate the masses who aren't getting their fill on blog movie reviews. 

We'll do stars (0-5) but we'll cleverly call them "Werschaibles" So you can get an idea of where we stand, here' some previous movies we've seen and what their Werschaible(s) rating might be.

Five Werschaibles: Dark Knight. This is a movie Jeff and I both loved, and probably the only movie we've seen in the movie theater twice.

Four Werschaibles: I'm going to go with 40-year old Virgin. Jeff was not keen on seeing this movie when I suggested it. One of my favorites of all time.

Three Werschaibles: Any Bond or Bourne movie. We don't love it, we don't hate it, we're just entertained enough to not be sad we spent the money.

Two Werschaibles: The third Matrix movie. This is for a movie that's bad, but we can still get a laugh out of how bad it was. Like the end where the female lead character, sorry I don't remember her name, takes 20 minutes to die despite being stabbed in every possible part of her body. Eagle Eye would also fall into this.

One Werschaible: We'll reserve this for movies that one of us sort of liked, and the other hated. I can't think of one off the top of my head, maybe Sex and the City? Jeff, help me out here.

Zero Werschables: Intolerable Cruelty. This is the only movie Jeff and I have ever walked out on. WE HATED IT, and Jeff will never let me live down that I chose to go see it.

We'll be back later today or this weekend with our review of Gran Torino. I can feel your excitement already.

7 comments:

Jeff S said...

First off, I asked a couple people and they think "Screen Feast" is better than "Munchies."

Your planning to write "OUR REVIEW" of Gran Torino later without me?

Jeff S said...

And it's curious that you started this movie review feature the day after English Award rival Steve Sears reviewed Gran Torino on his blog.

Jeff S said...

And let the record show, I commented three times on this post.

Don't tell me I never post on comments.

Steve said...

So Jeff, are you the Phyllis or the Angela of the party planning committee?

Mike said...

Not that I hate to take attention away from a pretty sick burn, but I'd have to say, I'd go to something that said screen feast, not sure that munchies would catch me. Of course, I could just be thinking with my stomach.

Mike said...

Also, the female lead character was Trinety. I'm just not sure I remember her dying at the end of the movie. Maybe it was that forgettable...

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

cute idea!