Saturday, January 24, 2009

At the movies with Emily and Jeff: Revolutionary Road

Let's just get this out of the way.

I saw Revolutionary Road last night and I still want to get married.

After months of build-up, I felt that when this movie was finally released, people were telling me how 'depressing' it was and how it had a 'sad ending.' Well, yeah. Was that not apparent in the previews? Why was everyone all of a sudden scared of seeing this movie? It had two fantastic actors, an award-winning director, Golden Globe nominations and great reviews.

Well, the logical conclusion is that they were afraid of what it would say, how it would make them feel. Personally, I don't let movies have that much of an impact on me, but even Jeff said to me before we walked into the theater, "Don't let this movie convince you not to get married."

Don't be silly. I saw none of Jeff and I in these two characters. For one, it's not the 1950s anymore. Part of what Kate Winslet's character was feeling was society pressures and housewife claustrophobia. I have no such problem. Not only do I have a job, I have a job I love. I'm not scared of having children, and I wouldn't feel trapped with them.

On top of that, Jeff is a custom-built family-man. He loves me exactly how I am and he can't wait to have kids. Although, let's be serious, the problems with coping came from Winslet's
character moreso than Leo's.

I loved the movie. It reminded me of Closer, which tackled similar subject matter, and is also one of my favorite movies. Jeff thought Winslet's acting was amazing, while I argued that Leo's was even better. He disagreed, but I seriously think DiCaprio's acting doesn't get enough credit. He acted the pants off of his part in the Departed. He's so fantastic in that movie.

Here's where I break off and tell you about my celebrity experience with Leonardo DiCaprio. I was working at the Union Oyster House in Boston as a cashier and during one day shift, a man came up to the counter and asked where the bathroom was. Without really looking up, I recited the words I'd said a million times, "Up the stairs around the corner to the left." Then I looked up to make sure the message had registered. The man, in a white T and pulled down Lakers hat, said "Thank you" then turned around. I paused for about 10 seconds, confused by the voice. Then I turned to my coworker and said, "Was... was that Leonardo DiCaprio?" We geeked a little bit while waiting for him to come back our way. Even when he did it was hard to tell, his hat was pulled down so low. It took ... six or seven? walks by his table to confirm. He ended up coming by three nights in a row, while filming the Departed, once coming with Gisele, though I wasn't there. (Weird she's pretty much the only other celebrity I've seen up close.)

Gosh, wasn't that a fascinating story? I thought so.

Back to Revolutionary Road... Jeff's thoughts:

"It was exactly what I expected. An excellent, depressing movie. Kate Winslet was fantastic. That's enough."

I'll add one more thought that he had, as an excerpt of a convo we had last night.

Jeff: "Was it just me, or were the clothes Leo wore like, really baggy?"
Me: (Pause.) "Did you just ask that because Kris Kross is on the radio?"

Final Ranking: Four Werschaibles.

3 comments:

Jeff S said...

A "custom-built family man"?

Who built me?

Mike said...

There was a TV show back in the 70s...

Also, where were the Werschiable amounts?

jessica maria said...

Hahaha @ Jeff's comment above.

Glad we agree on this! Though I read Jeff's review of The Reader, did you like it too? Write about it! All of my coworkers loved it, I just didn't. Weird.