Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's been a long time, shouldn't have left you, without a dope LOST to step to...

LOST.

Wooooooshhhhhh.

Didn't I just set the scene there? It goes better if you slowly cock your head to the side.

I went down to Rhodey last night to watch the premiere of LOST. (Yes, always in caps because it's that major of a show.) With Jeff on what feels like the longest business trip of all time, I couldn't watch it alone. Who would I go "What the .... ?" too?

I couldn't have had better company. My best friends Andrew and Justin are LOST-philes just like me (I got them both into it, whether they admit it or not). We ate dinner at Whole Foods, well, Andrew and I ate, Justin scoffed at our "health food." He went to Spikes. Then over to Andrew's house to sit in a cold, dark den and watch a huge TV.

We watched the entire preview special, a 1-pound bag of M&Ms to keep us company. (We ate the whole damn thing, but I don't THINK I ate a third).

Some of you might know that I was EXTREMELY underwhelmed by the season 4 finale. Probably because I read the entire thing online about a week and a half before. My major problems were two-fold 1.) You move the island with a frozen donkey wheel? Shut the heck up. and 2.) What, they're gonna resurrect John Locke? Not cool. I may not be that religious, but I have a problem with that allegory.

That being said, I super loved the premiere. Things I liked:

1. Sawyer, shirtless. Yeah, don't need to say much more there do I?

2. Daniel Farraday and his soap-style acting. His lines were so over-the-top and he was obviously expected to deliver the episode's biggest lines, and he did with John Black-style aplomb.

3. Someone from 'the people we don't care about' dying. I don't even remember his name and was it important? You knew that once he started talking smack to Sawyer he was a goner. The group pondered how he was die (I thought shark-attack, Darma shark anyone?) but flaming arrows while he screamed 'Fire!' were much, much better.

4. I loved the scene between Hurley and his mom "I believe you... I don't understand you, but I believe you." Awesome. Also, bonus points for any episode where Cheech Marin is involved.

5. Time travel. I've heard some people scoff at this, but I love it. I suspect they're going to be traveling through time for quite a few episodes. Old characters are going to be reappearing, disappearing, causing drama, and no doubt breaking hearts all over again. Love it. 

People are disappointed because they want LOST to be more science than Sci-Fi. Well, let me let you in on a secret. Lost writers are just that ... writers. Stephen Hawking doesn't have a writing credit on this show. It's pure fantasy. Just go along with it. We're all on this string together. ;)

Overall I thought the premiere was predictable, yet unpredictable at the same time. We're left with plenty of questions, no real new answers. We've got Desmond and Ben on a mission, which is awesome. We've got the Oceanic 6 back together. And I suspect, and I hope, that they're going to have to tell us how exactly to get to the island in an upcoming episode, and I'm hoping it doesn't involve a submarine.

Thoughts? I know most of my readers watch this one!

4 comments:

jessica maria said...

Loved it.

And yes, it was a bit predictable. When no-name survivor started smack-talking I just said, "Dead." And Jesse turned to me, the back to the screen, and then the arrow flew in. YESSSS!

I think they won't get back to the island until the end of this season. Seems like a long time, but you can't just make Kate, Hurley, Sayid and Sun go "Okie dokie, let's go!" in a couple of episodes. Something REALLY tragic has got to happen for that to go down - so, I'm going with varied tests over time that lead them all to believe they need to. Of course, this is LOST, so I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE! :)

Steve said...

In the history of this show, the donkey wheel is between hundreds of people surviving a plane crash without serious injury and people being saved right at the last second in a dark, silent jungle with no warning on the believability scale.

I'm also a bit confused by the "You can't change anything" meme. Locke was shot by someone who was dead and still had the wound in the future. And Faraday was able to change Desmond in the past.

My brain hurts.

Jeff S said...

I'll explain everything.

Alas... there is... no... time.

Mike said...

I live under a rock and have never watched lost.

My biggest excitement lately is that this geeky fantasy series I read is actually in syndication and I missed the first few episodes but caught up online. :)

I really should try lost.