Thursday, October 23, 2008

Downward facing doofus

Alright, well Yoga was utter FAIL this morning like you all might have suspected. But like the opposite of what George Constanza might say, "I was NOT raised to give up!"

So I arrive all early and stuff and quickly realize everyone knows each other = everyone has taken this yoga class before. Like I've said before, I'm not really concerned about what I look like in front of strangers, but it was still kind of awkward.

The class starts and the heat lamps are blazing and I'm trying my best to balance ... and it quickly becomes apparent that my wrists are not enjoying this class. Not one bit. Every time I go down on them, I feel like they are being stabbed with knives. Not good. 

Getting to about the middle of the class, we're still doing arm stuff and breathing work, and I don't think I'm doing it right because I have the overwhelming feeling like I'm going to either pass out or yack. (The teacher of the class had sent out an email yesterday saying "Yoga is best practiced on an empty stomach." So even though I KNOW that I get sick exercising without eating anything, I go without anyway. I spoke to her after class and she said I could eat a banana or something, just not a FULL meal. Point taken) I get down on the mat and start swigging water, estimating how close the nearest trash can is ... woah. Eventually I felt better and got back in the swing of things.

The leg work was a lot easier for me, naturally, and I actually think I was OK on the balance stuff considering it was my first time. About 2/3 of the way through the session though the AC kicked on full blast to balance out the heat and I ended up cold by the end of class.

So positives: I think I can get better at this, the teacher is really nice, and no one seemed to be visably snickering at me. Also, there were only two "OMMMMMM"s and one Namaste!, which is always fun to say.
The negatives: Wrist pain, wrist pain, wrist pain. Mild embarrassment

Overall, I'll definitely be back. Also, it seems the teacher wants to extend the class to an hour and a half for what I presume is no extra $$ so that's cool as well. Bonus! I'll keep you informed of my progress.

****

Back to last night, my berfday. Well, I got a record number of facebook happy birthdays, I am clearly one of the most popular people on the internet. Bummer was I had to work until 8, but then Jeff an I headed out to Applebees (not a lot of options around here) for a big margarita and a brownie sundae. And those are really the only three things I need in life :)

Oh! And he bought me this superfly jacket I had spotted in the Barney's Outlet store at Wrentham a few weeks ago. Even at outlet price it was still too expensive... but ch-check it out!

Oh yeah, that's me in the jacket... and my yoga pants. Did I mention I'm a fashion FAIL too? Oh well, I think the jacket's great! Thanks babe :)

Tonight my dad and my brothers are coming up from Rhodey to take me out to dinner, so that's cool and Friday night is more margaritas with my hubby to be! (Oh by the way, he bought be a birthday card 'To my wife' and plugged in 'soon to be' before every mention. Needless to say, it was a big AWWW moment for me!)

2 comments:

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

happy birthday pretty lady!

congrats on a successful yoga class! i think the wrist pain will probably go away as your wrists get stronger... for someone that has never done yoga before it can be hard on the wrists and ankles. give it time.

jessica maria said...

Awesome coat! It looks great on you!