Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This just in: Weddings are expensive

So I'm using the knot's handy wedding budget calculator, thinking I'm doing pretty good. 

Free dress, I found a cheaper florist, getting Katie to make the invites, STDs for $30 ...

So when I plugged in the numbers and found out I was still over budget, I was a leeetle distressed.

Of course a lot is going to depend on how many people come. If we come in around 85-90 like I hope, we should be ok. Right now the guest list is right around 100, AND NOT TO TOP 115 (Woah, sorry I had to yell there, but I feel very firm about that.)

But the reality is, with tips and little things popping up, I'm going to need more money, and since I already upped the honeymoon ... it looks like the thought of moving to Boston when our lease is up in May is out of the picture.  Maybe after the wedding. Maybe.

I went through my finances, and for sure, I'm spending more money on stupid stuff than I need to. I'm going to try and cut back on the unnecessary stuff (mostly eating out). Jeff gets a lot of freelance work, and since he's almost erased all of his debt this year (I'm so proud) AND bought me an engagement ring (I'm so proud), he should have some "extra" money next year.

No, I don't want to use every penny I have on the wedding, but I really would like to add a videographer and uplighting to the budget. I also might need to provide transportation for myself or my guests. Oh, and hair, makeup and nails. And shoes. And alterations ... 

Something's gotta give!!!

3 comments:

jessica maria said...

boy do i know how you feel right now. there's an amazing photographer we want to use and almost signed the contract, but realized his fee was the "advance" which was HALF of what he would get paid in the end. BAH. Anyways, keep on truckin'!

Emily said...

Ugh... who was it?

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

yeah i know the feeling. i had a mini pms induced panic attack regarding our budget yesterday.

uplighting? you can decide on that even like a month before the wedding. there are tons of people that do it.

videographer? ask someone who is a friend but in a distant way who wouldn't be offended that they're being hired not invited, who at the same time won't charge you much.

for my brother's wedding my mom's cousin did it for them as a last minute thing. the cost = $0, and then they edited it on their own after the fact.