Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekend in Review: One minute you're up, the next minute...

Well. This "weekend" started off well on Thursday night. One of Jeff's coworkers came in from London for just one week. She had never been in the states before and I couldn't bear the thought of her flying all the way to America, being excited about it, and spending the whole week in Central Mass.

So we volunteered to take her out Thursday night, before I realized it was the night the Sox were on the brink. Ah well, I figured there'd be a TV in wherever we went in Boston. 

I called up my two friendliest girlies, Katie and Meg, to round out the group and we decided to go to the North End for dinner. Jeff and I used to have a "place" there, which served huge portions of the best Italian for really reasonable prices ... of course it closed.

So every time I've been back there I've wandered around, trying to find another good place. Thursday was no different and we wandered down Hanover, checking out menus and prices (When did it get SO expensive there?) and we settled on a place called Lucia. There was a 15-20 minute wait, so we went down to the bar in enough time to watch B.J. Upton put the Sox in an early hole. Whatever, I drowned my sorrows in a tasty Cape Cod. (Side note: I rarely order drinks when I go out, mostly because of money reasons. I'll know I'm comfortable financially when I don't feel guilty about getting a glass of wine with dinner. Not there yet.)

Finally we were seated, menus in hand and STARVING. I ordered something they called Amazzafame (Sp?) which was basically penne, sausage, sun dried tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, capers, broccoli. All  I have to say is: I found my new North End place. OMG, I can't stop thinking about how good it was! Oh, and the chat with my friends was fun as well.

Of course, you can't go to the North End and not stop off at Mike's, where I got a German chocolate brownie which we brought back to Meg's condo to eat and watch the Sox fall further into elimination... At about 10:30 we left to go back and the Sox were down 7-0 when I got in my car. But as I pulled out of the spot... all of a sudden it was 7-4 and I spent the rest of the drive home screaming at the radio and pounding on the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure Emma, Jeff's coworker from England, thought I was a maniac. Anyways, just as I was dropping her off at the hotel, JD Drew bounced one over the wall and the Sox were back from the brink. Almost more fun to listen to it on the radio.

Friday night we went back into Boston for a preseason Celtics game which Jeff's mom got me tickets for! She got me regular season tickets for my birthday and I'm definitely looking forward to going back for that!

Saturday morning, bright and early, we headed off to Rhode Island to meet with a new florist. They came in at under what our last florist who dropped out was and I think we'll go with them. Honestly, at this point, flowers are flowers! I'm sure they'll look beautiful.

After that appointment we swung over to Newport to watch my cousin, and beautiful bridesmaid Sarah, run in the Breakers Marathon. We made great time and got there just in time to watch her finish the marathon in a personal best time of 4 hours and 37 minutes. She's amazing! I could never do that, obvs.


Saturday night was work until late and Sunday was more of the same. Sunday night ... well, let's not talk about that.

I have some exciting things going on this week, including an announcement I hope to make on the blog about something I've been working hard on... but not yet. I have to make SURE. Stay tuned :)

No comments: