Thursday, October 2, 2008

Veep debate

Some live thoughts ... (Disclaimer: These are just thoughts that occurred to me off the top of my head, and despite my minor in Poli Sci, I'm definitely not an expert, nor do I claim to be, on political affairs. So ... yeah.)

9:00: Can I call you a hockey mom, is that ok? Good ta meetcha!

9:03: Sarah Palin's American flag pin is bigger than yours.

9:11: This is going to be a boring and pointless debate if Biden just recycles everything Obama said last Friday.

9:12: Sarah Palin thought she was dressing for a blackout. She's going to a f-in funeral! (that's a sports reference ma ;)

9:14: Oh boy, Biden just started laying the smackdown. Congrats to those with 14 minutes in the office pool. The moderator even cut her off to save herself.

9:17: I wish the candidates would treat it like they're in a team, rather than Palin citing McCain and Biden citing Obama... could we throw out a "we believe..." in there?

9:20: OK, I'll admit it. That's the third or fourth time I've heard the McCain $5000 heathcare credit plan explained, and it still confuses me. Maybe it's because I got a C in economics. Either way, it sounds bad.

9:27: We get it Sarah: Things are bad. How are you going to CHANGE it? We get it Joe: Obama pointed out the impending mortgage crisis two years ago.

9:31: Moderator: What are the causes of climate change? Palin: "I don't want to argue about it." Well then, thanks for coming ... to this DEBATE. Climate change is such a softball question to her anyway, given her area of expertise.  

9:33: On the other hand, Biden "If we don't know the cause, we don't know the solution." Well played.

9:35: Those Chinese and their damn dirty coal! 

9:36: Same-sex question. I'm excited and scared for Palin's answer. She keeps saying "choosing" ... it's not a choice!!! I wonder if her gay friend, who she constantly references, appreciates being a pawn in her little plan. 

Also, don't love how they just both said they agree that they don't support gay marriage, and then smiled. Glad you've made that "choice" for other people.

9:40: Where are the foreign policy questions? I want to get to the nitty-gritty.

9:42: I actually think Biden did a better job explaining Obama's Iraq War strategy than Obama did. 

9:44: Ohhhh Palin has been waiting 44 minutes to stick it to Biden about his conflicting and negative statements of/with Obama. And yeah, it still stings and is a fair point to make.

9:48: Score a few points for Palin pronouncing "Ahmadinejad" right. And yes, I did have to look up the spelling on that.

9:53: Biden is letting his passion for Israel get in the way of making a contrary point to Palin. He's attacking the Bush administration, which isn't the point right now. It's what the future administration will be. Get off the soapbox dude! I appreciate the fervor, but you're coming undone.

9:55: "I'm so excited to hear we both love Israel. Don't you love latkes and those funny little hats they wear?"

9:56: OK, he's bringing it back to the point by saying the policies are the same between Bush and McCain. But this debate is starting to level off. 

9:58: I could do without Biden referring to himself in the third person. It's confusing. 

10:00: I continue to be impressed by the mental endurance it takes to participate in one of these debates. No sips of water, no breaks. I give them both credit for that.

10:09: Palin needs to stop winking at me. Yeah, that's my only thought in the last nine minutes.

10:12: She did not just do a 'shout out' during a political debate. Is this a joke to her?

10:17: "Dick Cheney is the most dangerous VP in the history of the US." Here here.

10:21: Woah, Biden just summoned some tears. I felt that emotion. Goosebumps. They both have great family stories.

10:22: One of the only undecided voters I know, my mom, just said "If she says 'ya' one more time ... " Way to win 'em over with your sugar sweet accent!

10:23: Biden is bringing it home here. Yes, we're sick of hearing McCain being called a "Maverick." Finish strong Biden, Obama couldn't.

10:26: Did you know Palin's from Alaska? She's Curt Schilling's fantasy woman, eh?

10:29: I don't like being called average. I think when you call people "average" or "Joe Six Pack" (ugh), you fail to acknowledge the million different situations that people in this country have been in or will be in. It's insulting. You are not average, Gov. Palin, nor is Senator Biden. Don't assign us to a personality because of our income. Here are my issues, that have nothing to do with my salary: affordable heathcare, affordable college education, environmental solutions. Are any two people the same?

10:33: Well, that was interesting. Palin didn't flop as badly as I thought she might, but Biden was still a clear winner, bringing it home at the end. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts in the coming days. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Says you posted this at 9:09 yet you wrote until 10:33. You have a future in fortune telling. Any word on this week's lottery numbers?

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

interesting comments. i am getting heated just thinking about the debate so i'll leave my comments for another, cooler day.