Sunday, June 22, 2008

Brain. Hurts.




With my mom coming up from South Carolina for my cousin Lisa's wedding this week (mini Block Island vaca in the middle of the week -- fanx!), I thought it would be a good weekend to get her together with Jeff's parents and have a mini wedding orientation. 

Wedding orientation to include: 1. Meeting with the caterer, 2. Trip to venue so Jeff's parents could see it; 3. Scout some possible rehearsal dinner sites and 4. check out nearby hotels for rates and room blocks.

First was the caterer -- Fine Catering by Russell Morin gets fabulous reviews on all the wedding message boards I frequent as well as by word of mouth mentions. I contacted them a few weeks ago, and they were fantastic in getting back to me, presenting me with a menu with some really outstanding choices, and writing up a proposal for me.

We got there a little bit before our appointment and were taken care of by Chris -- by taken care of I mean ice water and a beautifully presented plate of pastries (big points!) He also showed us some different china patters (China again?) and table cloths. I started to get a headache as my mom kept oooooohhhing and ahhhhing. Meanwhile I'm thinking, great, but the plain china they include is fine and so is the plain tablecloths. Everything else is $$$$$.

That was sort of the theme of the afternoon. The catering/food portion of the wedding is where you could really go over budget if you don't reign yourself in a little. Sure it would be nice to have a dessert buffet, in addition to cake. It would be great to have a raw bar, signature cocktails, stationary appetizer stations, a four course meal, top shelf liquor and wine service during dinner (for those keeping track, you won't see much of this at our wedding.) I'm sure the guests would LOVE that. But I do not have unlimited funds, and I am trying to get the absolute best for the absolute least.

That sort of started with picking this caterer in the first place. I knew, at the very least, the food would be good. Beyond that, this is what we have in mind (and so far fits in the budget):

Pre- Ceremony: The company will have 'butlers' passing out sparkling water and lemonade. I'm pretty psyched to learn about this 'perk' because it will be a hot day and the ceremony is outside. I'm hoping guests appreciate this.

Post-Ceremony/Cocktail hour: During the cocktail hour (in addition to a spinning carousel) there will be 5 passed appetizers. Here are some that we liked that I have to narrow down (Please, my loyal readers, give your opinions in the comments): 

Shrimp Shots -- Iced Gulf Shrimp served cocktail style in an individual glass with a variety of sauces to include chili mojo sauce, herbed remoulade and a tangy traditional cocktail sauce. Allie, my coordinator at Russell Morin's said this one is usually a big hit and looks really cool.

Coconut Shrimp: Jumbo Gulf Shrimp encrusted with Coconut and topped with Apricot Horseradish Sauce

Lobster tartlet: Fresh Maine Lobster and French Brie with Saffron Sauce

Haute Club Sandwich: Smoked Salmon, Cucumber Herb Mousse and caramelized Shallots on a miniature Club Sandwich

Duck Toast: Warm Smoked Duck on Toasted Cheese and Brioche Bread with Aged Gouda Mission Figs and Fig Aioli

Mini Chops: Succulent mini lamp chops with a tangy fresh raspberry cabernet sauce or a tangy, green apple, sour orange compote

Crab Bruschetta: A toasted triangle of Asagio Bread topped with a crab mousse with Asparagus Vinaigrette and Homemade tartar sauce

Chesapeake Bay Crab Tower: Traditional Maryland Crab Cakes topped with Lemon Tarragon Vinaigrette with Micro Greens

New Age Beef Wellington: Grilled Tenderloin with Boursin Cheese and Merlot Demi Glaze -- another one our coordinator said was a hit

Bacon Wrapped Scallops -- self explanitory.

OK so that's less than a third of the options -- and I have to pick five. Argh. Gonna be really hard.

Also during cocktail hour we'll have passed drinks -- Margaritas to be exact! Everyone who knows me knows I love margaritas and the company is throwing this in as an incentive because we booked early!

Reception: We have things a little more ironed out for the reception food. First we are going to have a gourmet pizza station! Since the theme of our wedding is fun and beachy, and Jeff and I both love pizza, we thought this was a really great idea.

We get to pick three pizzas and here are the three we think we will go with:

Mexicali Pizza -- Refried Beans, Chunky Salsa, Shredded Sonoma Jack Cheese, Scallions, Lettuce, Jalapeno, Sour Cream and Shredded Beef fajita. I love mexican!

Athenian Pizza -- Diced Vine Ripe Tomatoes, Fresh Baby Spinach, Creamy Feta, Kalmata Olives, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and Banana Peppers. I love Greek! (PS -- also a vegetarian option that I hope my vegetarians will like!)

And the grand mama -- 
BUFFALO CHICKEN PIZZA! Nuff said.

But no, that's not all. We will also have another station and this is the one we think we are going with: 

Tuscan Grill Station: Bistecca alla Florentina (Marinated Herb Bistro Steak slices grilled and served over wilted spinach), Gamberoni alla Siciliana (Grilled Shrimp skewers laced with marsala, current caper tomato sauce served over soft asagio polenta). This station will also have grilled vegetables.

Bar: So we're having an open bar. We're not going with the super, tricked out awesome open bar. It's more the "it's free booze, drink it and shut it about no fancy liquors" open bar. We'll have three kinds of beer, some wine choices and all your basic liquors. I think this will be just fine for everyone.

DESSERT! You know I couldn't just serve cake. Pleaz. After toying with the idea of a chocolate fountain, I saw this option on the caterers menu: A coldstone creamery bar! This. Sounds. Awesome.

*******
So at the end of the meeting, Jeff's mom just said, 'This seems like a lot of food.' I agree with her, but I prefer to look at it as a lot of options for people. It is a little overwhelming, but I really wanted the food to be good at the wedding. And I think it will be! I can't wait for my tasting!

2 comments:

Allison said...

this all sounds very yummy! can't wait to hear more of your planning!

Anonymous said...

Just pick the things you want to have and would like - the rest of us will suffer in silence and eat the food you've picked! Nuff said!