Thursday, June 5, 2008

NBA Finals Preview ... yeah, that's right

I'm going to let you in on the most underrated sports story of all time. Ok, maybe not THE MOST, but the fact that this gets overlooked in a time where we analyze, over analyze, then analyze again how hoof cracks, celebrity girlfriends and theoretical video tapes effect the sporting word around us -- this story ranks as one of the most under-analyzed story of all time.

"The All-Star forward was stabbed at a nightclub in Boston's theater district Sept. 25, 2000. The 25-year-old ***** required lung surgery after he was stabbed in the neck, back and chest (one wound was seven inches deep) and was hit over the head with a bottle. ***** had a speedy recovery; he joined the ***** after training camp to play a full 2000-01 season where he averaged 25.3 points."

Most of you see where I'm going with this. That's because most of you know what a Paul Pierce homer I am.  But I'm pretty sure most of you, if you didn't live in New England, would even know this happened. 

You certainly wouldn't know it based on a google news story search about it:




That's right. Now let's try a similiar search for Kobe Bryant:



Now I'm well aware, not not delusional enough to ignore, that Kobe Bryant's back is much more of a factor in THIS YEAR'S NBA finals than Paul Pierce's stabbing eight years ago did. But the fact of the matter is -- if Bryant got stabbed in an off-season, then returned the play, they would have inducted him into the Hall of Fame early, they would bring up during every time out, they would ask him about it in every press conference. He would be an inspirational milestone, regardless of the circumstances of the stabbing. And you know I'm right.

In a league where we've been reminded of Rip Hamilton's broken nose for the past five years -- why does Paul Pierce's attack rank so low on the totem pole?

Paul Pierce might not be the greatest Celtic player of all time -- and I'm not even qualified to make that statement -- but I think he'll end up being the most under appreciated. I started getting into sports around the time he started with the team. I've watched him every season hustle his was through, for better or worse. I think most people can agree with me that no player looks like he needs an extended nap at the end of the season more than Pierce. He has a patented push it to the hoop move that's resulted in him being one of the league leaders in free throws every season. It's also lead to more meetings with the parquet that I've seen from any other player (remember when he busted his face and broke his tooth? Ugh.). He's carried the Celtics on his back for the past decade, the worst in team history. 

Even now, as the team heads into the Finals, his story, his journey, takes a back seat. How many players, who have been violently attacked in an offseason, return to full time action the next year -- how many more of those would have that happen and never had it brought up again? 

Paul Pierce will never be an NBA super star. Good enough to make the all-star team, he's never going to reach the stratosphere of KG, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, Lebron. But he's also never going to throw his teammates under the bus, choke in big spots or make everything all about him.

Paul Pierce isn't the most consistent player. He vanished from the first half of the Cavs series. But as most of you know by now, he  came back when it mattered most to make an impact, to carry the team to the Eastern Conference Finals, then to the Finals.

After defeating Detriot in Game 6, there was no one I was happier for than Pierce. He's probably long gotten over the fact that he's not a super star, and I don't think that bothers him. I love Pierce because he loves basketball. He treats the game with respect and passion.

For that reason, I think the Celtics are going to win. It's going to be tough, but I think you'll see this series will live or die on the back of Paul Pierce. Like it has for the Celtics for the past decade. Like it probably will for the next 3 or 4 seasons. And then what? He'll probably head up into the rafters, but won't ever be revered like Bird, Russell, McHale, probably, sadly, not even like KG. 

He deserves to be. I don't know why, in sports, we never appropriately respect the players who carried us through the rough times. Who didn't quit, who didn't whine, who didn't sign somewhere else the first chance they got. Who spent their whole lives in the same uniform, only to get a fleeting glimpse at success. 

Pierce has his chance now, surrounded by a fantastic supporting cast, and I firmly believe he won't let the opportunity pass him by.

I just hope, after he wins game 7 on his home court, he can finally get a good night of sleep. 

******
Editor's note: This is the first time I've ever even attempted a sports column, despite the fact that I've written about sports for the past 5+ years. I'm fully aware that there are millions of people who know more about basketball, and the Celtics, than I do. But no, I'm not a bandwagoner. Thanks for asking.

2 comments:

Mr. Aromin said...

Paul Pierce is ridiculously overrated and I only wish he could learn to speak proper English instead of weezy-ebonic grunt...violently attacked?...I say, the PROTAGONISTS should have finished the job...choke in big spots? a few years ago in the Eastern Conf. finals against the Nets, he couldn't get over the stabbed chants...in no way will I support Kobe either, however, there is a very big difference between Bryant and Pierce...I hate Bryant because he is a great basketball player and he likes butt-sex and I hate Pierce because he can't read, can't take a stabbing like a man, and he likes butt sex but only with dudes named Grant Long...my favorite lines "...I love Pierce because he loves basketball...he treats the game with respect and passion..." If I'm not mistaken, didn't he give up on his team several times over the years and ask out of Boston on a number of occasions? Then again, he is a NBA player.

Emily said...

Umm... I don't remember any of that.

But seriously, choked in the Eastern Conference finals? Where he averaged a team high 24 points, including 8.5 rebounds and 4 assists? Or game 3 of that series where he sparked the biggest comeback ever scoring 19 points in the last 12 minutes?

Then again, he is NBA player. My favorite NBA player.