Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Da Blingz


A lot of people say they love their engagement ring because, "It's so me!" Well, I love my engagement ring because it's so NOT me. I never, ever, ever wear jewelry. I got my ears pierced when I was 12, and I only wore earrings during school dances, a poor idea considering how my holes would close up and I would have to painfully re pierce my ears each time. Eventually, I figured it wasn't worth it.
I've gotten hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry for presents my whole life, but it just never did it for me. The bracelets were either too fancy for my daily wardrobe, or a color I didn't quite like, or weren't flattering on me period. The only piece of jewelry that has made it through is a silver cross necklace my mother gave me in 11th grade. I have it on 99% of the time, and feel naked with it off. 
*******
Once upon a time, I thought it was unromantic to pick out your own engagement ring. Kinda ruins the element of surprise and makes things a little too easy for your boyfriend. That didn't stop me from peering in windows in the mall, scoping out the rings, picturing what I'd want ... blocking out Jeff screaming, "Alright, let's go!"
My mind changed about the whole thing the first time I stepped foot in Tiffany. Before you roll your eyes at my expensive taste, I'd just like to point out I'm not a brand name girl. I'm pretty sure I don't own a piece of designer clothing, as I write this I'm in a NU sweatshirt I bought 7 years ago and black sweatpants. 
But Tiffany... it's like a black hole. They don't even have windows to peer in, it's like a vault they invite you inside. So one day, I went in, and I was hooked. I'm biased, but I think they produce the most beautiful diamond jewelry in the world (no conflict diamonds, for those who are keeping track). I went again a few months later with my MOH Katie, tried on a ring or two, and we both agreed they were beautiful. 
After that, the hints started to drop. A couple of months later, Jeff agreed to go looking with me. Now, I know that Tiffany rings run twice what other rings run. But I was more than willing to take a smaller size than he could afford somewhere else. I didn't care at all. 
When you go into the Tiffany store, they have you try on all their different styles to see which one you like the best. First, the solitaire. Then, the pricetag: $24,000. Oh, my ... moving on.
Even though I wanted to guide Jeff, I didn't want to pick out the exact ring... so I narrowed it down to a few styles I liked. Then, the Tiffany store saleslady spoke to Jeff alone, and we were gone.
A few weeks later, the saleslady called Jeff and he went down there. I didn't know what would happen, since I knew he still had a while to save up money to make the purchase. We both agreed that it wasn't to go on a credit card. I didn't want him in debt over this. 
When I got him on the phone, he didn't want to tell me too much. But, he said he had seen a ring, and that it was "fabulous." Now that's a word I've never heard my alpha-male boyfriend utter. I was giddy. He told me he didn't have it, but had put down a deposit. It was now only a matter of time.
*******
Every time I look at this ring, I have to agree. It's fabulous. It's perfect. It's so not me, in my sweatshirt and sweatpants. But I don't care. I love that HE loves it too. 

2 comments:

jessica maria said...

I never wore rings EVER! Now I feel naked whenever the ring is off. Perhaps the reason I haven't gotten it appraised yet...haha, I'm going, I'm going! (It's his grandmother's diamond from over 100 years ago...eep!)

Emily said...

ACK! Please go and do that right away. It was the first thing I did because I wanted to get it insured IMMEDIATELY. I was TERRIFIED I would lose it and all the hard work Jeff had put in to get it for me would be wasted.

You can get it insured through your renters policy (if you have one, I didn't) and to have the ring completely covered, meaning even if you lose it, it will cost about $10 per thousand for a year. So if your ring was $5000, let's say, it would cost $50 a year to insure it. Yours is an heirloom and irreplaceable, but that's not too much for at least a little peace of mind.

BTW you ring is gorgeous.