Monday, June 9, 2008

My throwdown with the fuzz

As I was settling down to watch the C's last night ....

I get a text message from Katie telling me she had been in a car accident. Not good. I headed over, with Jeff, to UMass Medical to find Katie laying alone, covered in a blanket, in a neck brace, staring at the ceiling. It was a pretty sorry sight, but Jeff and I stepped in to bring some laughs. As usual at the hospital, we waited for hours for her to be given an X-ray, some motrin, and told to come back if it gets worse. K thnx. I hate hospitals. 

We did get to meet a fascinating nurse named Charlene (although her jacket said 'Mimi'). Charlene laid down some knowledge, including, but not limited to: "If you call me Charlie, I'll take you outside and kick the shit out of you," "I hate my job," "I'm 5-9" (ummm, she was shorter than me). She also told us a great story about when she got in trouble as a child she had to sit indian-style on a magazine and not let her knees touch the ground until her father told her it was ok. Then she asked us if we wanted a "cocktail" came back with four cups of mystery liquid (cranberry juice and... ??), and toasted over Katie's head. It. Was. Weird.

As we were driving Katie back home at 2 a.m., I was rapidly and nervously running out of gas. We were driving into farm country, and every gas station was closed. On our way back from Katie's, still freaking out about the gas situation and trying to maneuver our way back to civilization via GPS, Jeff pointed out an upcoming cop on the corner. I stared at the cop car, because I couldn't see anyone inside, then I drove on.

About 30 seconds later, I noticed the cop was following. So of course I focused (no REALLY focused) on my driving, staying within the speed limit, and not making any unnecessary movements. For about two miles the cop followed me. Finally, he turned his lights. 

What the hell? Seriously?

I pulled over. He came up, asked for my licence and registration. I asked him, 'What's this about?" He said, "When you passed me, your car was over the yellow line. Have you been drinking tonight?"

What the hell? Seriously?

I told him, no, I hadn't been drinking. I was on my way home from driving my friend home from the hospital and we were following the GPS home. 

So he ran the licence, and chided me for not having a Mass. ID. Told me he could arrest me for that. 

What the hell... you know.

Then he told me he was giving me a warning, for a 'lane violation.' Then he let me go.

Follow up Questions: Why did I happen to drive by the most bored cop in Holden? If he thought I was drunk, why did he just take me at my word for that? And why did he wait two miles to pull me over? 

What an a-hole. 

2 comments:

Jeff S said...

I don't think Charlie was a nurse... I think she was a "glorified" cleaning lady - a loose definition of glory.

You didn't make it clear that we missed the game. When you're THAT good of a friend, you should flaunt it.

--------

For SEO purposes, I'm going to add a random link to a page I've worked on for work. So if you're looking for a high-quality laboratory centrifuge, contact a Thermo Fisher Scientific sales rep.

Anonymous said...

you are the shit
and for that i love you
xoxo