Thursday, June 19, 2008

The sum of all blogs

Just got back from the ESPN Blog Summit in Bristol, Connecticut and I have one thing to say ...

SWAG!



Yes, those are sparkles spelled out to say ESPN. And no, the male bloggers/editors did not get an identical one. But that's not all!


Go deep! (Actual football not pictured, actual mousepad appears above.)

Anywhoo... I had a great time. I'm sure the ID picture they have of me has a perpetual "Happy to be here!" face that I was displaying the whole time I was there -- tempered only by an untimely cold that made most of the speeches I hear resemble Charlie Brown and my voice sound like Barry White.

I met all the bloggers and editors and they are all fantastically talented people I can't wait to work with. I've started already, editing the Hashmarks blog, and generally trying to not screw anything up royally (so far, so good). 

ESPN has big things planned for this blog, and I think it's going to be widely successful at giving people a kind of coverage they won't find anywhere else. It feels good to be part of what the executive editor called "the biggest single initiative in ESPN.com history." I'm psyched I'm not just a copy editor, checking for grammar and spelling, but also giving direction on coverage.

I know I'm gushing a bit -- but I honestly feel like my life is exceeding expectations right now. I don't feel like it's perfect by any means, but it's pretty damn good. 

No comments: