Saturday, June 14, 2008

Registry Offender

OK. So apparently, I'm supposed to register for fine china. (My guy friends are confused already.) I say, "supposed to" but that really translates to "that's what my mom says." She says, "You'll be glad you have it." She says, "You'll need it for special occasions." She says, "It's one of those things you'll never want to save for to buy yourself." Hmmm ... she's probably right there. 

I have one of those mothers whose opinion can take me from, "definitely not" to "well... maybe she's right" over the course of a few weeks. What can I say?

My first opinion on china was, "Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't want to make people buy it for me." I mean, if I'm going to make people buy something that is obnoxious, ridiculously expensive and hoity toity, then I'll just register for some sort of gold plated LCD flatscreen TV.

Let's back up a second. First of all, I don't even know what china is. I don't know how it's different from regular plates. They're supposed to be fancier, for special occasions, but how many of those do I really have in my life? And how many people that I know will appreciate that kind of thing? And tell me again why I can't just get regular plates?

Oh wait ... I'm supposed to get those too.

Did I mention china is really expensive? Like $50 for a tea cup expensive. (Nevermind that when I suggested we register for both a tea kettle and a coffee pot, Jeff nixed it.) 

Now I know you're saying, "Don't get china then." Well .... I guess it's supposed to be a relic of your wedding right? I thought, "Let's go to Macy's, see if we like anything."

I don't want to go as far as to say it was a "mistake" to bring Jeff, but ... he didn't really put a lot of thought into the china question. We settled on a possible pattern (he said definitively, 'I like this one') and continued to wander around the department. We wandered back, "I don't like that one so much anymore. It's kind of ugly from far away."

Sigh.

Hey Jeff, if you can't like this china for more than five minutes, you're probably not going to like it in 30 years. So I pointed out another pattern -- 


It's Wedgwood Lustreware Blue Fin Dinnerware. It's probably what we're going to go with. I like it because it doesn't have a lame ass swirly pattern on it, but it's still classy and nice. 

Anyways, we decided not to go with anything today. Going to register is pretty overwhelming ... I want to make sure I register for stuff I really want and not just make people buy a bunch of crap I won't ever use. But I can see how it's easy to just take that scanner thing and go nuts on the store. I can see how it's tempting to buy a quesadilla press and a deep fryer and a table runner and a bunch of other things that probably won't transform me into the domestic goddess Jeff is hoping for. You could easily register for twice as much as you need and the fact of the matter is, I'm not having that big of a wedding.

6 comments:

Jeff S said...

who registers more than a year in advance anyways?

you're greedy.

Allison said...

I didn't do China!! I registered for dishes, but no china , and I've been married almost 4 yrs , I've already got new dishes cause I was sick of the ones I registered for!! I do like the pattern you picked out though!!

Anonymous said...

well if you register for a cake knife toasting glasses bridal memory box and anything with lace on it you know who will be buying it for you...gracie

quesadilla press? really? all you need is a shallow pan and a spatula for pressing and flipping. thats almost as useless as a panini press machine or a waffle maker.

on the topic of china... my mom is very concerned about china as well.... i think it is a thing of our parents generation. we use the "nice dishes" on occasion... but really they sit in a cupboard for most of their cold porcelin lives

i say register for some mean green cold hard casharoni, a trampoline, season passes to the patriots/red sox/celtics/providence roller durby/etc.., and a one of those vacums made by that australian guy...who wants to buy a vacum for themselves... really?

Anonymous said...

Hey! That's not fair - our mother's generation blah blah blah! You'd better watch it or you won't even get a toaster! Katherine forgets all those Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners when we use the fancy china. And besides, I had registered for china (nearly 30 years ago!) and then my godmother gave me her 1921 Noritake china that her godmother gave her for her wedding! Here's my thought: register for a nice boxed set of white china - costs about $150.00 and then you can play around with colorful serving pieces that you can use all the time. If you decide you want that really fancy stuff, borrow it from me because you only live 45 minutes from my house. You want new towels and sheets and pillows - that's the important stuff! You will never be a domestic goddess; you'll always be a pizza diva and that calls for paper plates and plastic cutlery (knives, forks and spoons for those less knowledgeable about those things!) Take me with you Em and I'll help you get the right stuff on that list! I'm liking the patriots/red sox/celtics/Providence roller derby tickets....

Anonymous said...

Ok the MOB still says that fine china is an investment in the future. Remember when Christmas was so special because the table looked so nice??

Mike said...

Christmas was special because we spent it with family we loved. The table may have added to the atmosphere, but I'd never say I loved any Christmas because of a table setting.

Then again, I think Khaki shorts and a short sleeve button down shirt untucked is dressing up.