Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bermuda, Jamaica, Ooooh I wanna take ya..

OK. So most people are excited about their weddings, right? (This is a rhetorical question, of course I'm excited about my wedding.)

But people get tired of wedding talk quickly. Once my two friends who are getting married this September get married, they probably will cut me off. Jeff was tired of talking about it 6 months before we got engaged.

So, let's change the subject. Back to the original question: While most people are excited about their weddings I am excited about... The Honeymoon!

But like all wedding related, stress-filled decisions... this one is baffling me too. So many places to go!

At first, Jeff wanted to go to Europe. Of course, because Jeff always wants the best of everything, regardless of price or affordability. That's why he needs to marry me. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I don't see any way how we could go to Europe with the state of the dollar. (Oh man, I just bored myself.) I'm sure with what we're spending on a honeymoon, we could conceivably go to Europe, but I want my honeymoon to be relaxing, in the lap of luxury, without worry about pricing everything out. 

So where to? Some places I've considered:

Disneyworld: Pros: I love Disneyworld. Who doesn't? A week of fun, food and amusement parks sounds totally awesome to me. 
Cons:  It will be the middle of summer = oppressively hot. I don't really want to be around a bunch of kids or wait in lines on my honeymoon. Also, Jeff doesn't want to go. Ha!
Verdict: I currently work for the Disney company as a contractor. Hopefully, when my contract is up in two years I will be absorbed into the ESPN family as a regular employee. If and when I do, I get free passes to Disneyworld as well as 30-50% off all hotel rooms. That sounds like a good time to go, so we'll save it for then.

Block Island: Pros: Negligible travel. I hate to fly and don't want to be stressing about that on top of my wedding. I like to think (cheese alert) me and Jeff really fell in love on Block Island when we went on a trip there 3 years ago. It's so beautiful and peaceful there, and with travel fees next to nothing, we could splurge on a great hotel room.
Cons: We've been there before. We could go there today if we wanted. Not "new."
Verdict: This might be a top option depending on the $$ we have left to spend on a honeymoon. I'm not ruling it out.

All-inclusive somewhere in the Caribbean: Specifically looking at Royal Plantation, Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Pros: This was voted the best all-inclusive  in the world by tripadvisor and gets great reviews. Wouldn't have to keep track of money since everything (food, drink, housing, as well as some other things) are included. It would be the ultimate, albeit typical, honeymoon... relaxing, eating, etc... in a new place we've never been and likely wouldn't find the time to go back to.
Cons: Longest travel and most expensive. When you spend a lot of money on a vacation the pressure is on for it to be great, or you will be disappointed.
Verdict: It's the top contender so far. When are you ever going to go to the Caribbean aside from your honeymoon? I'm hoping we can find a great travel agent who can get us a deal (any suggestions) and that we have the money left over to make this happen.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

5 comments:

jessica maria said...

when's your wedding?? early or late summer? mine is in august...and apparently the carribean in august = hurricane season :( we also can't do europe (i wanted spain) because of $$. BUT! we're thinking of doing tahiti/moorea/french polynesia because its' non-hurricane weather, gorgeous, and uh, away from everything. we live in manhattan and he travels all the time in a bus with 15 people, so we'd like to be left the eff alone for a week :)

Emily said...

July 25... next year. Is yours this year or next year? (next year I'm assuming)

Yeah there's the whole hurricane thing too.

Tahiti, I hear, is amazing. And that the $$ goes far there... I just have flying anxiety that might prevent me from going that far ... but I'll consider. Let me know what you find there.

Is your wedding in NY? (Sorry about all the questions, it's a sickness when you get engaged...)

jessica maria said...

our is def next august :) and it's in massachusetts near where my parents live in worcester!

i don't think my relationship could survive without flying...in a way, you're lucky you don't have to think about flying all the time - ha :)

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

hellooooo?!??!

mexico!!!!

pros: there are tons of cute resorts that are all inclusive (riviera maya?) that are just gorgeous! also, it is a plane ride away (novel) but not too too far away.
cons: drink the water and you'll be in the bagno all night haha

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Bermuda, Jamaica, Ooooh I wanna take ya.." to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

honeymun.com Team

http://www.honeymun.com