Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This was easier when I was a kid.

So as loyal followers of my blog know by now -- hi mom! -- I have been trying to lose weight for my impending nuptials. The overall goal is 25-30 pounds. Since May, Jeff and I have gone to the gym nearly every day (I'd say 75-80% of the days). We stay for at least a half an hour (usually 45 minutes). I do somewhere from 30  minutes to 45 minutes of cardio, and some crunches. Every once in a while, I'll do some weight machines. And while I can absolutely feel my legs toning up, I've only lost 5 pounds.

There's a diet factor too -- I've been trying to watch what I eat better, but that will always be a struggle.

I feel like the main culprit in my slow weight loss is my inactivity during weekdays. Working from home, you're not given a lot of opportunities to get up and walk around. My job relies on me being by the computer for my ENTIRE shift. Therefore, I've struggled to find ways to exercise during the day:

  • I can't see myself doing a workout video. When I was in college I had my ex-boyfriend buy me the Billy Blanks Tai-Bo series on VHS. (Yikes, I already sound dated). I think I watched it like four times. I always felt like I was doing it wrong.
  • Crunches. Sound easy enough. But I'll get bored and I don't feel like I'd be motivated to do 5-minute sessions of crunches during the day.
  • The most common suggestion I've gotten is, "Take a walk during your lunch break." Well, I don't have a lunch break. We haven't exactly worked out the break situation at my job now. Right now, I'm getting like 20 minutes at 3 o'clock and I use that to go get a coffee (milk only, thanks).
So I was still stuck seeking an alternate solution. Well, I think I found it. The other day I had Jeff take a stroll to Target during his lunch break (HE can walk on HIS lunch break) and buy me a ... jump rope.

I thought -- it's perfect! I can still be by the computer, I don't have to leave the house, it's definitely something that will get my heart pumping, it's great.

Well, I took it for two test drives this morning and I have this to report:  I'm not as young as I used to be.

Wasn't jump roping easier when you were a kid? I could rock a jump rope or a Skip-it for hours. Well, I was huffing after a minute straight of 'roping (nevermind feeling like a doofus in my living room which has a wide open window facing out). But, my lack of dexterity and embarrassment aside -- I think it's a winner. My heart rate definitely gets up. I'm sweating after 30 seconds. My calves and thighs are burning -- in a good way.

I'm going to try and do this for five minutes, every hour, which will add 30-45 minutes of increased heart rate on top of our nightly workouts. According to a few calorie counters I've consulted, you burn around 350 calories per half hour of jump roping. That should make a difference right? 

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

hey girl-

yeah, jumproping is way hard. but so awesome and so fun still, isn't it?

re: losing weight. I lost 10 lbs from february to may (and have maintained it since then) by planning as many meals + workouts ahead as possible.


For example, I would know that tomorrow I will eat oatmeal for breakfast, a grilled cheese with a sliced cucumber for lunch, yogurt with granola for a snack, and grilled chicken, couscous and salad for dinner. AND that I have to get up at 5:45 and do upper body workouts for 45 minutes before work.

In other words, everything on a plan. That way I HAVE to follow it, it is just too easy to do so!

Now that I have maintained the 10 lb loss for a few months I want to lose 5-7 more (and that's it) and I have already lost 1 lb since starting up again last week. My new workout schedule is:
Mondays: 60 min k-boxing class, 30 minute toning class
Tuesday: 30-40 minute run wiht hills
Wed: 45 minute circuit training
Thur: 30-40 minute run or k-bxoing class
Friday: off
Sat + Sun: 30-60 minute easy runs

If I miss something I planned I feel guilty, therefore I don't miss it. Also, I keep TONS of snacks at my desk/in my purse for those times when I am really starving!

OH! and check out katheats.com for some really good, healthy recipes!!!

another OH! I bought a food scale and I swear that made a huge difference. I weigh out portions of high calorie/high fat things like ice cream and p.b. just to know how much i am eating!

Emily said...

Well, first off Sabrina, you look really great!! Considering that, your advice is really helpful.

If I'm going to fall back into excuse mode it would have to be that Jeff and I eat our dinners together and he is VERY picky, so that hurts. For example, last night he wanted chicken parm subs for dinner. He wanted to order out, but I offered to make it instead, to save money as well.

For $12 bucks I made 4 portions of chicken parm, with veggie sauce and low-fat cheese. I was thisclose to buying the whole wheat pasta, but it was like a dollar more.

Baby steps. :)

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

1. thanks

and

2. homemade chicken parm vs. ordering takeout sounds a lot better than baby steps! good for you!

have a fantastic day!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

p.s. i made two big changes that really helped me.

1. i joined calorieking.com where i can log my food every day
2. i read katheats.com every day for new ideas to switch up my menu.

ck was worth every penny as i can easily stick to my goals with such a great tool ahead of me.

if you want to email me we can be diet/exercise buddies and motivate each other! my email address is my first name followed by my last name at gmail dot com!

-s