Thursday, July 31, 2008

So sad.


Maybe I'm just upset right now but I think this trade was completely lame. We just traded one of the best players in Red Sox history for 50 cents on the dollar. The Sox will not make it to the playoffs and you can mark it.  He didn't even get a proper goodbye.

To all you fans that are cheering this, I think you're pretty lame too. We use players in Boston and laugh with them until they prove they're not perfect and we run them out of town. Whatever. I really liked Manny and he was one of the reasons I started watching baseball. And I think he legitimately loved the fans in Boston. We're going to miss more than his bat. 


When the above picture was taken, he came down to the restaurant I worked out, got his car valeted with us, then went to another restaurant. Whatever, a Manny being Manny moment right? I anxiously waited and hoped he would come back, but I got distracted on a super busy night. 

At one point, in the midst of the madness, I looked up and Manny was standing right next to me, leaning against the counter. I was shocked but composed myself to say, "Hey Manny!" he smiled and said "Hey" back. I told him I was at the game last night and he was great and he told me thank you and that he was tired today. I told him, "You're a good guy Manny" and he responded thank you again, then was swept off by fans.

I had, by an amazing coincidence, brought my camera to work that night and was hoping for any break in the action so I could go outside and take a picture with him. Forty-five minutes later, I figured I was out of luck.

I wasn't. Manny was still outside. I ran out, came right up to him, and said, "Manny, can I have a picture?" He said, "Sure!" and threw his arm around me. He stayed for another 10 or so minutes taking pictures and signing autographs. He never got anything to eat anywhere, as far as I know. Why did he even come down there? Who knows. But he made a lot of fans happy that night. 

Boston fans run so hot and cold, you know? That night, we were loving him. Today we're sick of him. Through it all he never stopped hitting. Last night's joke about being traded straight up for Brett Favre showed me he still had humor to the last moment. More than I can say for the Red Sox.

I'm sure Jason Bay will bring us a lot of laughs over the next few years. Right?

No comments: